Friday, June 02, 2006

dead as a doornail

I had the opportunity on my recent travels to do a small bit of recreational reading. I have a stack of non-child or work related books 3 feet high - set aside for this purpose and i more often add to than take away from this dusty library.

so taking away - and finding it to be a delicious read - is a true guilty pleasure.

my choice - The Secret Life of Bees.

and the following passage really struck a chord. so much so that i have gone back and re-read it every day since i got home.

"Have you ever noticed the more you try not to think, the more elaborate your thinking episodes get? While trying not to think, I spent twenty minutes on this fascinating question: if you could have one miracle from the Bible happen to you, what would it be? I eliminated the one about multiplying loaves and fishes, as I never wanted to see food again. I thought walking on water would be interesting, but what good was that? I mean, you walk on water, what's the point? I settled on getting raised from the dead, since a big part of me still felt dead as a doornail."

this from the central character in the story, 14 year old Lily.

and me - what miracle would i choose? as you've prolly guessed, i'd have to agree with Lily - i too feel dead as a doornail.

3 comments:

Big Pissy said...

I'm glad you're getting to do some recreational reading.

It's the best kind! ;-)

I haven't read this book, although I've heard many good things about it.

I tend to read trashy chick lit or mysteries.

yeah.

I'm deep like that.

Feel better soon!

*hugs*

Pissy

Mouthy Girl said...

*hard hugs*

I hope things improve...SOON.

Let me know how I can help.

t_cole said...

BP-
Yeah, i prefer trachy chic lit too - specially when hanging out by the pool in vegas. but was travelling with coworker/friends and for some reason wanted them to think i was (am) literate. (roll eyes!)
hugs to you too!

BG -
improving already. i am out ot town tomorrow - off to baltimore for two days. woohoo.
you help just by being YOU!
t