Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Olfactory Observation

I received some new hand lotion recently. And it stinks. But the scent reminds me of the Ponds lotion and cream my Grandmother used when I was a little girl. So when I smell this new hand lotion, I am taken back to bed time at Grandma's with us moisturizing our hands and snuggling up together in bed. She would tell me stories as I fell asleep with the scent of Ponds lotion in the air.

My mother wore Chanel No. 5. She hasn't worn it in years - but whenever I catch a whiff of it, I am six years old watching my Mom getting ready to go out on a date with my Dad. So beautiful and glamorous sitting under the hair dryer and polishing her nails. And the hug she would give me before they left would leave me in a cloud of Chanel No. 5. I could still smell her on me when I went to bed later in the evening.

My Dad owned a timber business. He would come home smelling like wood chips and sweat. He worked very hard to provide for his family. The proof of his work and diligence were evidenced every day when he came home to us in the way he smelled.

Lauren by Ralph Lauren smells like my Jr High boyfriend. He gave it to me. I always wore it when I was with him. We both smelled like it most of the time. And every time I wear it now, I think - at least momentarily - of him.

It is reported that the sense of smell is one, if not the, strongest of the senses. I tend to agree with that.

What do your memories smell like?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi T-Cole!!

My Mom always wore Shalimar. To this day, if I smell it, I turn around looking for Mom.

Crayola crayons/play-doh always make me think of Kindergarten.

Pat & Reg said...

Finesse shampoo reminds me of my first real boyfriend. I think that's what he used.

Cigars remind me of going to the Turf Club at Del Mar during the horse races as a child. All the men seemed to smoke them. It's a very pleasant memory and I like the smell of cigars.

So Not Wishy Washy said...

Even though they had a hand in killing him - Camel un-filtered, make me think of my Daddy. One small wiff of someone who still smokes them bring me back.

My Mom wore White Shoulders. I have vivid memories of Christmas because my Dad HAD to make sure he bought some. My sisters and I would wait with breaths held until she opened that particular gift. She never wears it anymore.

Gross but true: fried oil and grilled beef make me think of my husband. He has cooked for a living forever. At one restaurant, he would come home STINKING of the stuff. I would make him undress at the front door and wash his chef coat and pants IMMEDIATELY.