Tuesday, May 09, 2006

if it's not one thing, it's a mother CAT

we have a new litter of kittens. i was not fast enough on the uptake to get Nitro Cat (aka Momma Cat) fixed after the last batch.

and for the record - i did NOT name this cat. i named the dog. Dixie. a perfectly appropriate name for a well bred southern dog.

so she had these babies - nitro cat, not dixie dog - maybe a month ago. we did not 'see' them this time. just could tell she was no longer prego. and she's gotten better at hiding them since the last batch. a month goes by. momma cat eats enough to feed a small nation of she-cats and still no sign of baby cats.

until this past weekend. hubby is cleaning out the barn. time to corn feed the steer. if you don't know what that means - let me put it to you this way...

we will corn feed cheeseburger (i didn't name the cow either) for 30 - 45 days while he resides in a stall in our barn. and then after some 'adjustments,' cheeseburger will reside in my deep freeze.

so, cleaning out barn. discovers litter of four kittens.

now momma cat is a calico of sorts. two kittens are yellow - like the big yellow testosteroney he-cat next door. two kittens are black - like the big black testosteroney he-cat next door. four kittens. one can assume two daddies. HARLOT.

i come home from my meeting sunday evening and kittens and nitro cat are in a big cardboard box on my back porch. i am all but certain i made it clear to all involved to "leave the kittens where you find them." and i AM certain they did not find them in a box on my back porch.

so much for my authority around here.

sam is allergic cats. her eyes are all but swollen shut when i see her next. lovely. so much for the effectiveness of weekly allergy shots and professional massages of her sinuses.
i forbid her to touch, smell or look at the kittens ever again. as if that will do any good.

savvy on the other hand - my child that is allergic only to cheap jewelry - is all over the kittens. from the minute she wakes up till the moment she is drug off to bed. they are named and she has planned out each of their little cat lives for them.

and this morning - while we were eating breakfast - i made pancakes - nitro cat took off with one of her babies. or so we thought.

found it later behind the rake on the back porch. poor baby. i hoped nitro cat had taken the hint and moved her babies back the barn.


at least then someone, albeit the cat, would be listening to me...

7 comments:

Three Score and Ten or more said...

We just have to see the kittens and they disappear. My kittens wouldn't have lasted ten minutes in a box on the porch unless they were held there by armed guards.

Michelle said...

Hi. I found your blog through...well, now I dont remember...I have been blog hopping...lol I enjoyed reading it very much :) ANyway..jsut wanted to tell you that!!! Have a great day :)

KC said...

I love kittens! I have one cat, but Hub-Man won't let me have any more than that. Dammit.

Big Pissy said...

I'm soooooooooo NOT a "cat" person.

But I DO think kittens are cute! ;-)

Have fun with your's!

Pat & Reg said...

You should post a picture of the little rascals! It would be so nice now that the damn cricket doesn't pop up anymone.

Pixie said...

Yes I would love to see them !

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »