Wednesday, August 16, 2006

put down the gun and clean your room

During my first pregnancy, I had every expectation that the child growing inside my body would be perfect. When I held that baby girl in my arms for the first time, I again divined perfection. Ok, so maybe not perfection, but perhaps normalcy. I suspect very few mothers give birth to a beautiful, healthy baby and anticipate the worst. I certainly didn’t.

I have spent much of the past 6 years mourning the loss of my anticipated perfection. MY loss and HER loss of normalcy. And we are so far away from worst case scenario with our daughter. Nowhere near worst case possibilities. But still, there is that acute awareness of loss and grief that sometimes sneaks up on me. When I am washing dishes. Putting her to bed. Folding clothes. I wonder – “what would my life – my family - be like if all three of my kids were ‘typical’ kids”

Sam is 7. we knew at two years of age there was a speech delay - apraxia. At about 5 years, we learned there was ADHD and Dyslexia. And we knew, still yet, there was something else. Something yet to be determined. And in April of this year, we learned that the unknown does have a name. Thy name is bipolar disorder. Once called manic depressive. I am not getting into the nitty gritty of the disease. If you read blogs – you know how to Google.

We have friends, some family even, that think the diagnosis is bunk. That she is just a high maintenance child. These people have not witnessed one of her rages – which are typical of bipolar children. We had one this past weekend that rocked our world. It took me and hubby to physically restrain her. My dear friend from Miss. was here visiting – she’s an ER nurse. She says to me in the middle of this rage – “tcole, she is psychotic”
Ever had a medical professional say that to you about your child? No, I didn’t think so.

Long miserable story short – we now have her in intensive outpatient treatment. We have changed her meds – for the second time since April. she is being tested - psychological testing stuff.


me. (it's always about me, remember) i am exhausted. mentally, physically, spiritually. i can't say i am defeated, because I AM NOT. but i do feel like i have been beat with a baseball bat about the head for a week or two. prolly look like it too and DO NOT even care.

for those of you requesting i return to blogging - you may wish you had kept your mouths shut. i don't have a lot of fun stuff to share right now.

my life has been an emotional battleground for the past four months with my family as the casualties.

but on the upside, about the title of this post - which does make me smile, btw...

last night, i overheard my hubby say this to out middle daughter. "Honey, put down the gun and clean your room." I stopped in my tracks. did not breath. what an absurd thing to say to a five year old, i thought to myself. and then i remembered, she was playing with her brother's water pistol.

AUDIBLE EXHALE...

6 comments:

B said...

tcole,
I laughed when I read the title, and thought you were speaking about your son. With 2 boys myself, similarly strange things have been known to come out of my mouth.

My heart aches for you and your daughter and the rest of your family. I can't begin to imagine what you've been going through. I wish I could help somehow.

You are in my prayers.

Pat & Reg said...

T- you're doing a great job. Blogging your pain and frustration is cathartic and we're all here to "hear" it and provide support. Feel free to take advantage of it!

t_cole said...

thanks ya'll.
i don't mean to sound like poor pitiful me - but it sometimes seems to come out that way.
it is cathartic, Reg. tis why i do it to begin with.
oh, and Reg, if the customer signs the contract, I will be in LA for two weeks next month. Let's do dinner - somewhere other than CPK.
K?
Thanks Lil Sis. I almost feel guilty absorbing your love and energy as i know how much you need it in your life - for your baby.
but as always, am grateful you send it on.

and Becky - glad you got a smile out of that. thanks for the kind words of support. i certainly can use the encouragement.

night all.
tcole

Anonymous said...

still here. will continue to be here. bear witness. offer support.

you are battling life without our physical presence, but we are with you in as much spirit as we can be. and when you are exhausted and feel so alone, please know that you are not alone.

E said...

I'm so sorry but you are strong and loving and you will get thru this. Hang in there. We're here for you.
E

Big Pissy said...

I'm so sorry y'all are going through this.....

Thank God you are so strong and have such a fabulous support system.

I'll be thinking of you all...

*hugs*

Pissy