Thursday, March 01, 2007

damn doctors...

i turned 39 last month. for the first time. seriously. born in 1968 - you do the math.

went to the eye Dr to get new contacts and glasses. so he is doing his exam and i mention that i am starting to notice a small problem with reading fine print. not the computer screen, not the newspaper. not magazines.
F.I.N.E P.R.I.N.T.
you know, the tiny stuff.

he has the AUDACITY to point out that i am almost 40 and this kind of stuff happens when your eyes get older.

'scuse me?!?

i am attached to those eyes and i am certainly not getting anywhere NEAR older.

i never felt so old or insulted in all my barely 39 years. puh-lease.


then i go the my new family doctor. i haven't had one (a family Dr.) in years and my OB/GYN - who wrote me a script for anything i called and asked for - RETIRED. so i figured i should build a relationship with a new Dr. so that when i get pink eye again or my sinuses implode, i can actually get an appointment with someone i have met and approved of previously when NOT sick.

so i meet this new dr. she is young. (my age-ish) hip. cool. she thinks i am funny. she listened to me. we connected. clicked. she did a thorough exam. ordered blood work - all the normal things one does for a well checkup type experience.

she tells me she'll follow up with me on my blood results. see ya next year type thing and then she hands me some papers. printed material on some of the issues we had discussed. has her name and address on the top. nice touch, i think. just general information about being a woman and what you should do to have good health at this phase of your life.

and then i see it

the material she gave me is for the 40-49 year old woman age range.

HEEELLLLOOOOO, NEW DOCTOR - that i was really digging...

I AM 39 FREAK'N YEARS OLD.

I AM NOT 40.

Not for another 11 months and 5 days. (not that i am counting.)
and not that there is anything wrong with being 40. I think it will be just grand.

BUT I AM NOT 40.
DON'T FREAK'N RUSH ME!


and finally...
my daughter Samantha sees a psychologist once a week for counseling. i go in for 15 minutes and tell the doc how our week went and then Sam spends the rest of the hour (50 minutes) with the doc doing whatever it is they do.

so this week - based on the doc's suggestion - we started a new reward system with the goal of modifying unacceptable behaviour.

the idea is that every time we 'catch' a kid doing something nice, right, good, we add a penny to the small fruit jelly jar. when the jar is full, the kids get a reward. we decided the first reward would be really good - a trip to Chuck E. Cheese - aka adult purgatory!

so the kids nic-named the jar, "The Chuck E. Cheese" jar.

the first morning we used it, yesterday, WOW and holy COW! i have never seen better kids. jumping over each other to listen, follow directions, share, be kind to each other, get dressed, brush teeth and hair - not one complaint or whine.
not a single one.

Mom and Dad did not have to raise their voices once. It was like Mr. Roger's house on speed. the pennies just kept clinking in that jar. i thought it was brilliant. i envisioned a happy home with well-behaved children and clean floors for the rest of my natural life.

this morning I walked into Sam's room with the bunnies hop, hop, hopping under my feet, the blue birds singing on my shoulder. picture Snow White in the forest with the small, sweet, innocent, smiling animals. that was me almost skipping in to wake my precious angel from her slumber to start another glorious day in the Happy House.

soft sweet mother voice sings out...

"Samantha darling, it's time to get up and get ready for school. and don't forget about the Chuck E. Cheese jar..."

from under the covers comes a low growling rumble...

"I HATE THE CHUCK E CHEESE JAR!"


damn doctors...

10 comments:

Not Fainthearted said...

I got my first ever glasses when I was 38 years old. Damn opthomologist had that nerve to say the same thing to me. 5 years later, when I had to get TRI-focals (WTF!!!) same thing. What's up with these people?

Hang in there ;)

KC said...

I got my first glasses after turning 40. I hated the idea of wearing glasses, so I tried contacts. Nu-uh. No way. I cannot get the dang things in and my face ends up looking like someone beat me up because of all the twisting pulling pushing around my eyes. So, now I think of the glasses as my friend because they help hide the tired, dark circles under my eyes. I'm resigned to it.

Anonymous said...

don't have glasses, yet.

On the kiddie shrink (that's what I call Emily's privately of course) we did the same thing, never lasts for long, but we reprise it every now and again for good measure, same with the chore chart, star chart and other reward systems. They do help overall, but we have to switch it up every so often to keep it fresh. Right now we have the Spring Break trip to Disney coming up as the biggie, like I'd really make her stay at Grandma's if she was bad, but the threat of it is holding some water so far.

I've found overall, accentuating the positive, honest to goodness praise when she's good helps, that and a heaping of patience on my part which on many days is so very hard to muster...keep the faith sister!

And damn girl you look GREAT!

lots of love,
lil'sis

Mouthy Girl said...

Cripes. Don't worry about the 40 thing. You don't look it, act it, or feel it!

I wear glasses and look pretty damn hot in 'em. I have three different pairs. A glasses whore, so to speak!

Keep up with whatever works with Sam. I think, just like my Lil Sis, you're gonna have to mix it up so she doesn't figure out a way around the rules.

cadbury_vw said...

40 is hot

t_cole said...

Hi Not,
Trifocals would put me in me grave. you are a better person than I!


Hi KC,
good to see you again!
I lost a contact yesterday. for all i know it is floating around in the back of my head somewhere...
i understand why you gave that up.

Lil Sis -
it's the heaping patience where i fall WAY short.
btw - Chuck E Cheese on Saturday.
i am in hell.

bg-
the real problem is that my kids are smarter than i am. they figure it all out and then WORK IT.
always always working to stay one step ahead of the little critters.

cad -
see you next year...
=)

Big Pissy said...

Oh Please!

40??!?!?

Wait until you hit 50.

Then you can complain! ;-)

t_cole said...

pissy - if i look as good as you do at 50, I'll take two.
YOU have NOTHING to complain about.
love ya darling!
tc

Pat & Reg said...

Okay. First of all, I'm so please that your posting regularly again! If only I could get myself together now on posting. Secondly, in regards to your doctor, you know, the cool one. The one you liked. A lot. She's only giving you this material as a means of preventative medicine. Preventing the problems associated with the forties. Yeah, preventative medicine, yeah that's it....

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Old is GOOD if you can stand the maintenance.