Wednesday, October 12, 2005

It's A Boy! And a Girl! And another and another...

Our one day old newest additions. Three black and white babies and one yellow - peeking in the back.

We're not really cat owners. About two months ago, a stray cat adopted us. She was so thin her stomach was sticking to itself. Sadly malnourished. Of course we took it upon ourselves to feed her. She certainly liked that and promptly decided we would make good people for her. So my chase lounger on the back porch became her bed and the baby bowl - her feeding dish.

Imagine how proud we were with ourselves when she started fattening up. Stomach no longer concave. Then no longer flat. Then kinda pooching out. Hmmmmm. This is suspicious. Wethinks babies are on the way. And they are now here.

Moma Cat crawled under our shed yesterday morning to deliver the little darlings. Being a mother of a small gaggle myself, I could not abide the thought of these babies out in the cool air, sleeping in the dirt with the bugs and snakes. Spent all day trying to figure out how to get the babies out from under the shed.

Finally figured out exactly where under the shed they were hiding. When DH came home from work, insisted he assist in my recovery efforts. He was most agreeable. However, in our efforts, he did question me once - "Are you sure we should do this?" I suddenly flashed back to that movie Raising Arizona with Nic Cage and Holly Hunter.

Nic (High) is being talked into kidnapping a baby/toddler from a rich family that has quintuplets for his wife, Holly. She is insisting that Nic go 'get' her a baby. The line - delivered at a fever pitch - went something like this. "High, I need a toddler! They got more than they can handle anyway! GET ME A TODDLER!"

So replace 'toddler' with 'Kitten' and you have almost my exact response to his question.

He dutifully procured his Heavy Duty Auto Lift (where was this contraption when I had my flat tire last week!?) and we proceeded to place it under the edge of the shed. He was able to lift the shed about 6 inches - enough so that after some dirt was moved, I could lay flat on my stomach and gently remove the babies. (I seem to detect a pattern here - me laying flat on my stomach in the dirt and grass)

So the babies were removed. Moma Cat was corralled and all were cuddled up safe and sound in the house in the large pet kennel.

Wonder if Moma Cat still thinks we are good people for her???

Moma Chicken is sitting on some eggs at the moment. Expect them to hatch in the next week or so. Soon we'll have kitties and chicks.
It's never dull... Posted by Picasa

No comments: