Friday, March 31, 2006

not otherwise specified

no, you don't say.

tell me something i didn't a.l.r.e.a.d.y know.

i'm talking sleep study results for my daughter.

I AM SICK TO DEATH OF DOING TEST AFTER TEST AFTER TEST AND STILL NOT HAVING ANY SOLID ANSWERS.

exhale

so. no sleep apnea. i knew this. i am am her mother - of COURSE i knew this. a mother knows if her kids stops breathing - even for a second and the mother is at the complete opposite end of the house. a mother KNOWS this...

diagnosis: "sleep disturbance, not otherwise specified"

no. really?

"the multiple awakenings and arousals seen during the study significantly decrease the patient's sleep efficiency."

is that so? i'd have never guessed. the cranky irritable child i have lived with for seven years gives me no indication whatsoever she has a significantly decreased sleep efficiency.

hrmpft.

i know medicine is not an exact science. i KNOW this. better than most. but at some point - somewhere, someone has GOT to know what' s going on with my child.
and how to make it better.
for her
and for her family.


Note: yes, i tattled on the sleep technician. no. i don't think it mattered to anyone but me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i experience your pain over your child at a visceral level

having something be wrong and not being able to figure out what it is...

i can only imagine how wrenching and anguish producing that must be (probably not able to imagine)

you must be sick with worry every day

the weight must be almost beyond bearing

my heart aches

t_cole said...

thanks Cad. we manage. every day.

and cat. we did start her on a ne med to help the sleep. Doc said it will be trial and error since we don't have a more exact diagnosis. duh!
good news - the med seems to be helping. she goes to sleep and stays asleep. has every night this week anyway. and wakes up pretty decent too.

there's always hope.
thanks for the love ya'll!

KC said...

I'm glad to hear that the sleep meds have worked this week. I hope that once she starts sleeping regularly, you'll be able to wean her off those and she'll still sleep soundly. Best of luck to you.

You're such a great mom.

MistaBone said...

Aww, T...I'm so sorry to hear that they couldn't figure it out. That SUCKS! ! !
I'm glad to hear that the med are helping and I know well the anguish of seeing your child have problems, and the apprehension of medicating a child...My son is seriously ADHD...
All I can say is that I knew you were a great Mom...She's lucky to have you.
I wish you the best of luck in finding out what wrong and getting it right.

Big Pissy said...

Glad to hear the sleep meds are working for Sam. And you ;-)

also glad to hear you turned the technician in....even if nothing happens to him, at least you got the satisfaction of telling someone.

Pat & Reg said...

It mattered to us! You go t-cole. don't let anyone try to push you out the door without getting you rmoney's worth. You'll figure out what's up with your child. I'm sure. If not, it's only eleven more years until she's on her own. Look at it this way... it's almost half over! No? Well, I tried....

Mouthy Girl said...

I want to throttle the stupid tech who made your night even more hellish than it needed to be.

I want to make everything better for Sam.

I want you to sleep well at night...knowing all of your kids are resting peacefully.

The worst I've had to deal with s coughing and the rotavirus. Those things still killed me as a mother.

*hard hugs*

(The meanie BG is getting out her chicken feet to put a hex on the sleep monsters and the doctors who can't seem to annihilate them.)

t_cole said...

you guys are awesome!!!

here it is - another Hurts To Move Monday Morning - i come here - and your love and support make me SMILE and feel warm all over.


THANKS YA'LL!
I needed that.
Hugs and love back at ya!

Polyman2 said...

I have had that same problem
for years. Mrs P. wakes me continually
some nights because she fears
I've stopped breathing.
I never thought it was
that serious...
guess it is.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.