Monday, August 13, 2007

there's no place like home

but good gawd is it hot in mississippi right now.
my fingernails were perspiring.

just got back from a quick weekend trip to visit the folks in south mississippi - couple of in laws are turning 50 and we attended a surprise birthday party.

good time was had by all and i am officially a karaoke whore.

what else....
was almost too hot to swim.
seriously. it's that hot.

went four wheeling through the piney woods for an hour and while it was HUGELY enjoyable and you can't beat the scenery, i sweat more in that one hour than i have in the past three years combined. i tried real hard not to bitch about it - but please don't question the hubby or the brother on this...

and most importantly, boiled peanuts rock.
they are a true southern delicacy.
pair them with an ice cold beer and you have yourself a right fine meal.

my Dad is so awesome - he had a big bowl ready for me when we got there. then boiled more and sent me home with a small ice chest full.

nothing spells love like an ice chest full of boiled peanuts...

10 comments:

Big Pissy said...

Even though I live in peanut country, I've never eaten boiled peanuts.

They look like mush to me.

Don't hit me!!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yum on the delicacy that I too enjoy, save me a few!

How lovely, the visual of T drenched in sweat with this great big smile on her face, hair blowing, behind her as she races through the piney woods of southern Miss! Yeah for you! I bet the sweat was worth it:)

t_cole said...

Pissy -- I won't hit you.
If you don't eat boiled peanuts - MORE FOR ME AND LIL SIS!
WooHoo!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm, peanuts.
I've never had them boiled, just roasted.
Is there a recipe you could send me??

Amber said...

I think I could go for some boiled peanuts...and some sweet tea! Oh, my!!

KC said...

I've never heard of boiled peanuts. Do you have a recipe and a picture?

Too hot to swim? Now, that's hot!

t_cole said...

boiled peanuts recipe
(from t_cole's Daddy)

10 lb RAW peanuts
HUGE pot of water
box of Salt

Water *MUST* be at a rolling boil before adding peanuts (this is key to be able to shell them!)

add peanuts and 1/2 lb box salt.
boil about 20 minutes
start testing after 20 minutes to check doneness. some nuts (shells) are soft and some hard - so test both types.

When done, let soak in salt water.
continue testing. if you have room, add ice to the pot.
you will continue to test for saltiness. when they are salty enough (to your preference), then you drain the water off.
and enjoy!

refrigerate any leftovers. they will keep in the fridge for several days.

Mouthy Girl said...

Hooray for your Diddy!!! He is the best! My Dad would do things so similarly whenever I'd come visit. Good times!

Glad you were able to get away for a little while even if it meant sweating your ass off!

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I just got home (Georgia) from a six week stay in Washington State. Mississippi heat is a lot like coastal Georgia heat. Just before I left one of my sons called me. "When are you coming home?" says he. "Day after tomorrow." I reply. "You might want to reconsider, people here are to the stage where 'Go to hell' sounds like a possible vacation to a cool place."

Boiled peanuts also freeze pretty well, though the canned ones, while better than nothing, aren't quite right.

t_cole said...

HI Richard -
welcome home. Never tried to freez them - will give it a go.
and you are right on the money about the canned ones - nasty!