Monday, August 20, 2007

unnecessary excitement

last night
early evening.
already put kids in bed
sitting in my bed with my nose in a book
i hear a noise outside.
i am the queen of tuning things out when i am reading...
but after a few minutes, i suggest to hubby that he go and find out what is generating the noise.
as he reaches the end of the hall, near son's room and right before the front door, i hear my son say, "you see that airplane, Daddy?!"
okay, NOW i am paying attention.

then hear hubby open door.

noise is HUGE.
hear hubby yell, "t_cole, come here now! Hurry!"
my feet hit the floor in a run.
i pause briefly at the front door to see the firetruck and ambulance at my neighbor's house. i see the CareFlight helicopter above my house.

post-pause, i continue running out the door, across the drive way, through the yard along the front of the fence (between the pasture and the road) that runs between our house and the neighbor's house.

i don't mean jogging, i don't mean walking fast, i mean hauling-ass running. good thing i sleep in a sports bra. no shoes. barefoot - did i mention that?

through uncut grass as high as my knees. jumping over downed branches. through spider webs. through briars. running. did not slow down. did not stop till i was in the neighbor's yard.

my neighbor's husband - D had been unloading and putting up hay. those 5-6 foot round bales. One rolled down on top of him and another one on top of that. so he had been pinned under two bales of hay. He had walked away from the incident but as time went by, he began to hurt more and more. It got to where he could not even get up and walk to the truck so his wife, M called 911 to come help her load him into the truck. (she tells me all this this morning) She said five minutes after calling 911, the ambulance was there, then the firetruck, 20 paramedics and before she knew it CareFlight was on the way.

shortly after i got in the yard and found out what had happened, someone points out that CareFlight is landing in my front yard. Oh wow!

They had tried to load D in the pasture between our houses.
The cows and horses said "Hell, No!" So the ambulance drove him to our house and they loaded him into CareFlight in our front yard.

my daughter slept through the entire thing. my son ran (also barefoot) in his diaper along the fence the same way I came.

We got the call from the hospital later last night that D is fine. no broken bones, no internal injuries. just going to be VERY VERY VERY sore for quite a few days. and that he is.

my hubby tells me it is about 1/8th of a mile from our front door to the neighbor's front yard. it felt like 89 miles. my fat ass has not run that far in the past 20 years. and i don't run for just anyone. nope. my kids can be screaming bloody murder at the other end of the house - or even outside, and unless I can smell blood or seriously suspect murder, i walk. running ain't my thing.

but i gotta tell ya - when you have care flight flying over your house and an ambulance and firetruck at your neighbor's house - neighbors you love and adore and would do ANYTHING for, you run.
you run like hell.
not knowing if you can help or if you even need to be there.
you still run

6 comments:

Mouthy Girl said...

Can I get an AMEN????

I'm with you on the running. Few things can get my ass moving at top speed. I like to tell my students that I only run when chased by pit bulls, and even then, I check to see if the canines may belong to one of them first.

I'm so glad your neighbor is going to be ok. That is some frightening shit!!!!

Amber said...

You are what I call 'good people'. I am sure your neighbors appreciate that that you are willing to run to their rescue if needed. What a crazy night!

Anonymous said...

The world needs more neighbors like you T-Cole.

I'm glad your neighbor is ok.

Anonymous said...

Won't you be my neighbor?

Exciting stuff! Glad he's going to be ok:)

I can't say I agree on the running, you know I've become a fanatic in the past year, have a race coming up Labor Day weekend, can't wait!

Lots of love,
lil'sis

t_cole said...

bg-
AMEN! and it was HUGELY scary!

SWB - you are too kind. i consider my neighbors "Good People" and we are just lucky!

Thanks Cat!

Lil sis - be your neighbor - anytime - but i WON'T be running 'round the block with ya.
I'll cheer. I'll fill the water bottle. but i will NOT run with you.
you go girl!
t

insanemagnetgirl said...

I'm glad he's ok.

Hope I can come out and vist oyu this summer I miss you.

<3 Magnet Girl