Wednesday, December 19, 2007

And The Oscar Goes To

The one with Middle Child Syndrome...

I do believe I have mentioned before that my second daughter, Savvy, suffers from a terminal and most severe case of Middle Child Syndrome. Also referred to in some circles as "You Love Them More Than You Love Me-itis."

I am hugely and painfully aware of her perceived disparity of my affection. And I work OVER-FREAKING-TIME to dispel this belief she holds so near and dear.

So recently, when she has showed an interest in theater and drama - i encouraged the HECK out of it. Told her that when we (finally) sell the house and move to the city - she can (and will) take drama classes, be onstage and BE AN ACTRESS!

Of course, as we all know - we did not sell the house as quickly as we thought we would - so her aspirations to be an actress have been placed on hold indefinitely - or so we thought....

a month or so ago, i got a note home from her music teacher about the upcoming Christmas program. Form letter thing - date, time and did we plan on our child participating.

HERE'S an OPPORTUNITY, I think! so I wrote back to the music teacher and asked her to phone me. and she did.

I briefly explained to her that Savvy had begun to show an interest in theater and if there was an appropriate part for her in the program, would she please consider Savvy for the role. PPPLLLLEEEAAASSSSSEEEEEEE. (we all know I am not above begging)

Music teacher told me that the older kids had already been given the speaking roles. I conceded, said I understood and I appreciated her calling.

A few days later, Savvy busts in from school - "I AM PLAYING NELLIE IN THE CHRISTMAS MUSICAL!!!!"

God Bless the Music Teacher!

Not being familiar with the Christmas character Nellie (except on Little House on the Prairie) I asked Savvy to tell me about her starring role.

"You know, mom - Jolly Old St Nicolas - 'Nellie wants a picture book...'"
"On the second song Mom, I don't wait for anyone to tell me what to do, I just GO DOWN FRONT! Mom, I just GO!"

This is HUGE to her. and I could kiss the music teacher for 'creating' this part for her. She even had her name in the program...

See for yourself this untapped youthful talent I have given birth too...
Savvy is front left in the GORGEOUS green velvet dress.


Little diva better thank me in her acceptance speech...

7 comments:

KC said...

BIG congrats to Savvy in her first stage-role. It's an addiction and she will now have to be on-stage every single time there's a chance. Encourage it. Nourish it. It's such a great thing when the child wants it for herself, and not because a stage-mother wants it for her. I'm soooo happy for her (and proud of you!)

t_cole said...

Oh KC - you would have loved it. She told me right after it was over - "Mom you were right. It's okay to be nervous as long as you ACT brave."
And thinking of you and speaking of costumes - she had the most gorgeous dress. thick rich deep green velvet with smocking and hand work on the front with pearl buttons down the back and a lace collar. I had to agree to pay her $5 so she'd wear her pearls with it and not her Tacky rhinestones.
all the other little girls were precious but had on those cookie cutter santa christmas dresses. My Mom found this dress at a resale store. Savvy was the most beautiful child there. (guess I have some stage Mother in me after all!)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, BRAVO!!

Congrats on the great dress find too:)

All my love to you and family for the Holidays T!

-Lil'sis

Wien. said...

That was the most precious thing ever. She knew her moves, was on que. She's set for Hollywood! Seriously, good for her and for knowing what fits and for finding her spot. She was perfect how could you not beam with pride!

Regarding her dress; classic Christmas and little girl. I so dislike how we are tempted to dress our children up like little adults. Bring on the smocking, velvet and deep cordoury.

I want to wish you, my blog friend a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I will most likely be away from computer access until the second week of Jan.

I hope that your new year's resolution is one that fits you well and will bring you another year worth smiling about.

love,
W.

Big Pissy said...

She looked gorgeous and did a fantastic job!

Congrats!

Merry Christmas! :)

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I wish she lived close enough that I could get her into one of my workshops (or those done by my love, even better) She would never forget it (probably you wouldn't either) She'd be thrilled but can you imagine her languishing in persecution with ACTING training.

t_cole said...

oh Richard - I wish we were close enough too. I can't think of anything better than having her under your tutelage. She would certainly learn a great deal - about drama AND living well.

Lil Sis - Hope you and yours had a beautiful holiday. Been missing you. check in more often, will ya?

Pissy - MC to you too. gimme a call after the first of the year. we need to catch up!

Wien -
Safe travels to you and yours. Said a prayer for Coconut yesterday as I remembered it was the day she was going with HA. Be well, dear friend.

And a Happy New Year to all!
t