Saturday, December 29, 2007

a new leaf

I have been reading back over my blog entries for the past year.
It's been one heck of a ride. Kinda glad to see 2007 go.

One overwhelming theme from the past year is me being completely wound up in my kids.
bad, good, or otherwise - that's how it's been.

truth be told - i am a selfish person by nature. I'd like nothing better than to take care of myself first and everyone else can just form a line to the left. Hasn't been a whole lot of taking care of me lately.

The most selfish thing I have done the last quarter of this year is read a bunch of books.

That's about to change. First half of January I go on a cruise with a girlfriend. She is going on the cruise to study for her nurse practitioner boards. (seriously)

I am going with her to drink, read, sleep and pretty much do nothing else.
Rinse, repeat.

There is something else big coming up in my life next year that is all about me. I have started the ball rolling. I am planning to have bariatric surgery. Sometime in the summer. It will take me that long to meet the requirements for my insurance company.
I am DONE with this weight battle.
done.
toast.

People will say I am taking the easy way out.

I DO NOT CARE.
Say what you want.

I have done the hard way all I can stand. Since I was 13.
I have lost. and lost. and gained. and gained.

I have an unhealthy relationship with food.

People, please. anyone that can say they have ANY kind of relationship with food should consider that a problem, don't you think.

Think what you want. judge. i do not care.
I am going to do this.
For me.

and truthfully - for my kids too...

so much for being selfish in 2008.


7 comments:

Ms. Junie said...

Hugs to you and here's to a great 2008!! I am always nervous about those surgeries, yet I know several people who have done it and been great. You will be just fine and if it is what you want to do, that's what matters most. I look forward to reading more of you in 2008 :)
big New Year's Hugs,
Me

Mouthy Girl said...

What the fuck ever. I had the surgery and it was the most healthy, giving thing I've ever done for myself and those I love.

I can run, skip, and jump with my kid. I roll around on the floor with abandon. I walk around festivals, parades, and fairs without looking for a place to sit my arse. I completely enjoy life.

With that said, it's NOT the easy way out. 25% of people who have the surgery don't lose. It's a failure for them because they refuse to take a look at their behaviors while the surgery's helping them lose the weight. Too bad for them. *shrugging*

You're not gonna be one of those people. Period.

I wish I could go on a cruise as well. My ass needs to look for a friend who needs to study. Dammit!

Anonymous said...

My former aunt-in-law had the surgery. Best thing she ever did for herself. Of course, it's not the easy way and whoever says it is has no idea what they're talking about.

Take care of yourself the best you can girl!

Big Pissy said...

Good for you!

Who gives a shit what anybody else thinks....you're doing it for you and your children. You don't owe anyone else an explanation.

Listen to Buddha Girl...who has had the surgery. Also....you might want to visit Signgurl (who is on my blogroll). She has taken her readers along on her surgery journey...pictures and all. She has done wonderfully well.

Good luck, doll.

...and have fun on that cruise! ;-)

Zephyr said...

Everyone I know who has done this would say there is NO easy way out. You're just getting a new weapon for your fight. If the other weapons you tried didn't work, that seems to be the logical step. How can anyone who hasn't walked in your shoes call it an easy way out? They have no clue!

I wish you well... it's going to be a huge journey, but one I KNOW you can make.

KC said...

Do what is right for you. Who cares what any one else thinks? Do it for you and your health. And your family too, of course.

Lipstick Jungle said...

I am reading back, and I am so so envious that you are taking this step. I would love to have that opportunity too. Really I would love to have my butt and thighs sucked out too.

Extreme make over would be nice!!!

Good luck, and ROCK ON!!!

lo