Thursday, January 24, 2008

40 and fabulous

or something like that.

I turn 40 next month.
hmm

trying to decide how I feel about this little milestone.
and trying to convince myself it's not really a big deal.
and is it?
really?
a big deal?

hubby asked me today what I want to do for my birthday. I told him I'd have to think about it and get back to him. (suggestions are appreciated)

we had a rather serious falling out about this birthday several months ago. I wanted to go on a cruise or to a tropical island with a handful of girlfriends. he pointed out that our family fund did not allow for such an opulent celebration. regretfully, he was right. (I'd never tell him that.)

He has now told me that anything he does for my 40th will not be enough. That it will not live up to my expectations. he got that right.

But I am pretty much over it now. Went on my cheap little cruise with a Fabu girlfriend. A few more of us girls are getting together in Houston in March to toast my 40th.
So I am good.

but what to do?
what to do....


My oldest daughter turns 9 in less than two weeks. We are taking her, sister and two friends to Medieval Times for the dinner and show. That will be a ton of fun - for all. Actually looking forward to it.

For my son's 4th birthday two weeks later we will be going to Chuck E Cheese. (shoot me now)

My second daughter's birthday is at the end of March and you'd think it was the most important gala of the season. We (she) change(s) plans on a regular basis - the one constant is that it will be themed after High School Musical. And I am to buy her "Cool-Girl Clothes" for her birthday.

So it's like birthday season at our house for the next few months.

poor hubby.
He just doesn't get birthdays and the significance that goes along with them.

and me?

I just don't know if I got it in me to Party Like A Rock Star.

I feel much more like an overweight, tired, disgruntled, middle-aged Mom.

And that, I am certain, is NOT fabulous.

9 comments:

Big Pissy said...

Ya know what?

It's YOUR 40th birthday and it only comes once.

Try to do exactly what you want (as time, money, etc allows) otherwise you'll always wish you had.

I was let down in a major way on my 50th birthday b/c my husband didn't realize what a big deal it was to me.

Men! ::roll eyes::

t_cole said...

Pissy-
yeah.

Wien. said...

No big ideas here, but sometimes the best things happen spur of the moment. If you can't put your finger on what you want to do, take a rain check. Celebrate when you're ready. Who says you have to have only one party?

Make your 40s be the decade when you change that overweight, tired, disgruntled mom feeling into what you want to be.

You can do it, and you will.

Mary Alice said...

You'll figure it out. I say Milestone.

I remember being relieved to finally turn 30. At last, I thought, people that I admire will finally take me seriously.

t_cole said...

Wein -
I needed to hear that. I was reading yesterday and the obvious was thrown in my face - People who have lots of negative thoughts live a negative life.
Ain't got time for that.
So on to positive thoughts. oftener.

Mary Alice -
Thanks for stopping by. Sorry you got stuck with such a downer entry.
I will aspire to see it as a milestone!
cheers!

t

Shelley Jaffe said...

Well, your writing appears to be fabulous, and fabulous writing can only come from a fabulous mind, non?

Don't get too hung up on the 40 thing. Yes, it's a milestone, but at the same time it's just a number.

I raise a glass of Metamucil & vodka in towards Texas. L'Chaim!!

Anonymous said...

40's have been better than the 30's which were better than the 20's. It keeps getting better with women like us.

As for the celebration, I knew that if I wanted a party I had damned well plan it myself. If hubby is willing to help organize, give him something to organize. But make it be something YOU want.

Me? I wanted a party so I invited 60 people over to the house. But I'm crazy like that.

Lipstick Jungle said...

I have a little over 3 years to prepare for 40, but I set a goal for myself.

I agree with OP, set some goals that will make 40 a great year!!! Why not do "40 things" for yourself for your 40th birthday Do you have 40 days before your BDAY? If so, start now!!! Enjoy it!

I have a daughter who jusgt turned 10, and a son who just turned 5. Their birthdays are 13 days apart, right before Christmas. I still have not recovered.

Your second to last sentence summed up E.X.A.C.T.L.Y how I feel 99.9% of the time.

I have made some promises to myself...

I am going to lose weight and feel better about myself so I am ready for 40 (I have 3 years, but I still need to get on it, or I will put it off until it is too late!).

I am going to understand (yeah right) my preteen better so I am ready for the teen years when I am 40 (she will turn 13 the year I turn 40 - YIKES!).

I am going to help my husband heal some of his old wounds and make himself a happier person - before he turns 42 (bwa hahaha).

Its really not advice, just thoughts and ideas!!!

Hang tight, be strong, and rock 40!!!

lo

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Give yourself twenty or thirty years and you will realize that forty IS fabulous. Your progeny makes it even more fabulous. Relax, enjoy it.

I keep having people ask me, "If you could go back to any time of your life, when would it be?" They always expect college or some other time like that, but its FORTY. FORTY is great.