Friday, September 05, 2008

pandering to special needs

i watched her speech the other night. she said that parents of special needs kids would have a friend in the white house if her ticket were elected.

and I thought about that...

and i resented her implying that after being the mother of a special needs child for five months or so she knows what my life is like and can relate. Let's talk again when you have been the mother of a special needs child for nine plus years.

And then I watched this...



blechk!

i too am a woman of faith. i also believe my children are gifts from God and i am privileged to be entrusted with their lives and up bringing.

However, I have never for a nano-second considered Sam's challenges and disabilities to be a blessing of any sort. I would not trade her for anything. And I would like to believe there is some purpose to her differences, but given a choice, i would take her without the challenges over what she now faces any day.

I would also like to believe that divine intervention brought her to us because we are equipped to provide what she needs. In our home, that is mostly true. but i know for fact this intentional divine placement is not true for millions of special needs kids. they are born into all kinds of families. they are abandoned, incarcerated and institutionalized.

so i guess, at this point in the game, i would have to say I'm just not buying what you are selling.

3 comments:

Nobody said...

I agree. Though neither of my children are special needs... I understand to a certain extent.

When moms of toddlers complain about how horrible the complexities of the "Terrible 2's" are... I can't help but laugh hysterically.

Wait until they have trouble learning to read, get teased at school and don't want to go back the next morning, say "I hate you" and really MEAN it for the first time, start to like girls and you have to bust out the birds and the bees. Talk to me then!

Motherhood gets harder and more challenging the older that they get. And I would agree, Palin doesn't know what she has in store. It's 10 fold with a child who is special needs.

Our neighbor has 2 grown sons with Downs. 29 and 27. She has cried to me on NUMEROUS occasions, always stating that she wishes they could just go on a vacation alone or be "normal empty nesters" with grandchildren and a Florida timeshare.

It is a lifetime commitment. And now as they are in their 60's and her health is not the best... they have begun to explore options for their future. Agonizing.

It can't be easy for you guys, but man... Sam is lucky to have a super involved and amazing mom!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I saw your post from the link on Facebook, and it resonated a bit. My children are not special needs, but my husband has cerebral palsy. He told me about what Palin said, and said he felt it was pandering and ridiculous. He's not an easily offended person, but he said this was, to him, pretty offensive. I don't know if she'd get the votes of people who are raising special needs kids, but I could see this being very appealing to those people who accost the disabled in malls, go on about "bravery," and then go home to their 'normal' lives.

Mouthy Girl said...

Palin's a fucking idiot.

How dare she throw the 'special needs kid' card out in an effort to gain votes?

Hello? Palin? You've thrown your first-born down in front of the country as the poster child of pro-lifers. You don't value life. You value a few paltry words you throw out to the 'little people' in this country in hopes that they'll be fooled into voting Republican.

One more thing:
I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding your views on Sam and her needs. Fuck being a courageous spirit.