Monday, April 24, 2006

la princesa

i have two daughters. sam and savvy

you have heard an awful lot about sam recently.

today you will hear about savvy. (lucky you)

savvy. aka la princesa. she is five. she turned so at the end of march. i was so caught up in all the other goings on in our world tha
t i failed to blog about her birthday. bad mother.


so, here goes...

She asked for (demanded) a flat iron for her birthday - and as you can see from the picture - she got one.

she was recently punished. very poor decision in the behavior/attitude department = consequences. she lost every barbie doll, barbie doll accessory, bratz dolls (aka mutant barbie dolls from hell) and her mini barbies and bratz dolls. upon removing the last remnant of barbie/bratz doll from her room, she looks up at me, tear rimmed eyes and asks "momma, are you going to play with my dolls?" i turned, looked her straight on and with every bit of seriousness i could muster, i responded with a decisive "PROBABLY!" she feigned devastation.

they all now make their cozy little barbie home in my bathroom. i kinda like the company. i have 50 little beady barbie eyes watching while i bath, get dressed and put on my makeup (they can't see the potty from their current location). i got tired of looking at them nekkid so one afternoon last week, i decided to dress them. i did my dead level best to put the right dress on the right doll. and i gotta tell you, i thought i did pretty good.

saturday morning, savvy is in my bathroom to have her hair 'done.' i proceed to point out to her what i great time i had playing with her barbie dolls. she turns, checks them out, realizes they are dressed. her face lights up. she starts to smile and then BAM! "Mother, Mother, Mother - SHE doesn't wear that dress. that's anika's dress. can't you tell?! - it's doesn't even match her crown! and that dress goes on bianka. oh and mother, you can't put that dress on her - no, no, no, that's all wrong with her hair color!"

did i mention that she's FIVE??? just barely FIVE??? i don't know what was the worse punishment - losing the dolls or knowing that they live in my bathroom with the wrong clothes on.

for her birthday, her daddy sand-blasted and painted an old metal bed we got from my Grandmother's place. it is P.I.N.K and gorgeous. it is a princess bed. and SHE is the princess. yesterday, daddy and fred hung the barbie butterfly lights. she insisted i take a picture. she is pretending to be asleep - so she could see what it would look like at night in her room while she sleeps. not kidding.






and have i mentioned that she wants to be a princess in real life. not a pretend disney princess - but a REAL LIFE princess. i patiently explained to her that since she was not of royal lineage (dammit) she would have to marry a real life prince to become a real life princess. "fine," she says without batting an eye,
"i can do that."

in her very next breath, she tells me she wants to move to oklahoma. oklahoma?! (do what?) and then i recall that our favorite baby sitter and her family moved to Ok. "savvy, you do realize if you move to oklahoma, your chances of meeting and marrying a real life prince are diminished greatly. you do realize that, right?"

she is undetered. moving to Oklahoma and marrying a real life prince. that's the current plan. anyone out there have any connections to royalty you can hook me up with? preferably in the north texas - oklahoma area...

and finally, my precious, too grown up, sassy, attitude giving daughter has the heart of a child after all. the easter bunny brought her this Peter Pan movie.

We saw it as a family in the theater when it was first released and she has asked for it often ever since. (i love this movie too - btw)
so yesterday, i was watching it with her - and she is asking me questions about tinkerbell and peter and wendy. she has picked up on this love triangle and wants to better understand why tink doesn't like wendy and does peter really love wendy and tink? yes darling - love is very complicated...
anyway, it gets to the part where tink dies and peter and the rest of the cast are chanting - softly at first - "i do believe in fairies - i do! i do!"
she's watching. then louder "I Do Believe in Fairies - I Do! I DO!" and before i realize what's happened - savvy is standing on the couch, red-faced, arms stiff at her side, fists clinched - yelling at the tv - at tinkerbell - "I DO BELIEVE IN FAIRIES!! I DO!! I DO!!"

and tinkerbell begins to glow and savvy has brought her back to life by sheer will.



i believe in fairies too, la princesa.

i do. i do.

but most of all, i believe in you.

love, mom

11 comments:

KC said...

What a beautiful heart-felt love letter to your daughter. She is lucky to have a mom like you who listens to her and knows her.

I can feel your love for your family in all your posts!

Mouthy Girl said...

I've said it before and will say it again and again - you are an amazing mom. All three of your cherubs will remember these moments with the same clarity with which you wrote this post.

She's a beauty just like her mom!

Christi Nielsen said...

so cute - looks like her mama!

Nanna Lee said...

Happy Birthday ~ Sweetbaby Girl
and great blog t.
love ya
ps - JR is doing better!!

Cerella said...

You know, I'm checking out your blog and everytime I see your picture I feel almost as though I'm looking at myself! I think that we look like long lost sisters! Check out my blog and tell my what you think. :) You have a beautiful family!

Big Pissy said...

I love this post!

I love that bed and Savvy's flat-ironed hair!

Ask her when I can come over for the slumber party. We'll flat-iron our hair while we wear pink and pick out age-appropriate princes for her to marry someday! ;-)

t_cole said...

KC,
thanks. i am glad you can feel the love - 'cause sometimes all i feel around here is frustration. nice to know it comes across at times.

BG - you are too kind. i ain't all that - but it's nice you think so...

lil sis - we HAVE to talk.

Christi - thanks. nice to see you stopped by. i enjoy your work so very much!

Nanna Lee - thanks cuz! working on that piece about JR. taking my time - want to get it right.

Cerella - where have you been. Looked everywhere for you!! =)


Pissy - i KNEW you'd love the bed. I think about you every time i make the (*#&%^@ thing up. come on. Savvy would LOVE to have a par -tay with you! (as would her mother!)

Nobody said...

Oh GOD, the pink is killing me. The testosterone in this house is deafening at times. She's precious. And I want that room for myself ;)

Anonymous said...

It's my first visit here, you have a great blog and a beautiful family ... now I NEED a flat iron!! GA summers are hell on a curly girls hair, I flatten mine all winter with just a round brush and blow dryer. Once March hits .. that is the end of that! it will frizz, so I'd rather deal with the curls.

t_cole said...

NWG - she would share if you care to come by for a sleep over...

bellarosa - welcome to the madness. so glad you stopped by. please feel free to drop in anytime. Yes, those flat-irons are a must-have for us curly-haired girls. i used to spend my summers in HOTlanta and know exactly what you are talking about!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »