Tuesday, January 16, 2007

my son needs a haircut

i think i am losing my mind
and then i think i have found it
and i try desperately to hold on to it - my sanity, that is.
it's like trying to store pudding in a colander

this and other meaningless banter
all rolling around in my head

i suffer from depression. and suffer is actually the appropriate word.
i started a new anti-depressant January 2005 and as it 'kicked-in' and did it's job, i felt less and less need to blog for therapy.
oh, i wrote tons of blog entries since then - all in my head. for my own purposes. they just never made it here.

at thanksgiving 2005 i released my babysitter from her employment with our family.
i have yet to hire a replacement.
which means I went through the entire holiday season without help. was the first time in four years i wrapped all my Christmas presents and put up all the decorations by myself.

about the same time i let her go, i found out i had polyps in my uterus.
in my head - for weeks - i kept repeating

i have polyps in my uterus
but i don't think it's very humorous

i was sure there was a song in there somewhere but that's as far as I ever got.

scared the living shit out out me.

on the 8th of december, i had out patient surgery. the polyps were benign and were removed.

clean bill of health - as far as female organs go...

money was tight for the holidays so i decided to make a lot of my presents. I knew getting decorations up, making, buying and wrapping gifts would be a huge ordeal as the holidays always are so early on, i just made up my mind that i would work my butt off and plow through it all. if for no other reason - for the kids.

Christmas was the last thing i wanted to do. but i kept hoping that if i faked it. if i pretended. if i went through the motions. if i did everything right that a mom of three is supposed to do - then, THEN i would have the Christmas spirit too.

and it worked briefly. the highlight of the season for me was our pageant at church. i felt 'it' there. which i guess is where you are supposed to feel the Christmas spirit so that worked out nicely.

then back to the rush rush rush. Drive 10 hours to Mississippi with two sick kids, one ILL kid, one large dog and a grumpy, exhausted hubby.

shortly after arriving my daughter accidentally broke one of the gifts i had made. it was completely an accident. it could EASILY be repaired (and was) but I lost it. i mean i COMPLETELY lost it. i screamed, cried and wailed so hard for so long i busted blood vessels under my eyes. no joke. permanent reminders of this episode.

the rest of the trip and holiday at home are somewhat of a blur. i was utterly exhausted but determined to do what i could to 'create memories' for the kids. and there were some really nice moments for the kids. we pulled that off at least.

my parents were great. my mom came back to texas with us and spent 10 days or so at my home. just having her here was a balm for my soul. (explain that b/c we have never spent such a long stretch together without one of us trying to kill the other one)

i continued to push myself. i had work to do, a house guest i wanted to take care of and three kids at home for the rest of the holidays. one kid still quite sick.

did go to a fabulous new year's eve party and mom baby sat. bonus.

but then my Mom left. kids went back to school. still no baby sitter for two (almost three) year old son at home. job work to do. house to clean. bills to pay. dishes to wash. baby sitter to hire. laundry to do. carpool to run. normal everyday stuff that normal every day people do.

and i dissolve into a puddle of worthless human flesh. all i want to do is sleep. and eat. did i mention i gained 20 pounds last year. lovely, huh?

and sleep.
and eat.

and eat.
and sleep.

so i am in a funk - not full out - as the meds prevent be from falling into the abyss. but i can tell if the meds were not in my system, i would be non-functioning. i despise this cloud in my soul feeling.

i tell my hubby. he has all but quit trying to understand me and my illness.

i tell my dad. he listens. and relates as best he can. and finally he tells me that sometimes you have to just 'dig deep' and 'push through it.' and he is right.

i talk to my mom about it. sometimes i think she understands better than anyone as i remember her (when I was a child) sometimes acting out then the way I feel on the inside now. and she does understand. and empathise. and finally she tells me that i am made of stronger stuff than this. that she and my paternal grandmother were both survivors and lived through their own hells at times - without the benefit of pharmaceuticals, i imagine.

so finally i talk to my shrink. he ups my dose of one med and writes me a new script. i am now up to three meds to help me feel 'normal.'

Shrink tells me i need to go to counseling. I start laughing at him - and then start crying. tell me something i don't know.
and when exactly, pray tell, would you like for me to go to counseling?? before or after carpool? should i schedule it after i drop my 7 (almost 8) year old daughter off with her counselor? or perhaps I can squeeze it in b/t laundry and the dishes. and do ya think they'd mind if i bring my two year old son with me since i can't seem to find a baby sitter to hire?

speaking of which,
my son really needs a haircut.






6 comments:

Big Pissy said...

*sigh*

Poor Cole.....I'm so sorry you're going through this.

It's been years for me....since I was as bad off as you seem to be right now. It's so hard to explain to those who have never experienced it. You just feel so helpless...or at least I did.

I sincerely hope your new meds help.

I hope you know that you can call me anytime if you need someone to talk to.

{{{hard hug}}}

~Pissy

t_cole said...

helpless is a good word
hopeless is too
suicide is not an option. i am not the type - but "disappearance" sounds good every now and then.
I keep telling myself to hold on until the next business trip. Those seem to give me a good shot in the arm.
so until then...
thanks for the love - i'm feel'n it all the way over here.
t

cadbury_vw said...

i have been in that place. no medication, though.

i did the medication through the fibromylgia.

i have an good idea of where you are

----

one of the hardest things that i found is to be able to exert myself enough to even think my way through the situation.

so,

i'm going to make a bunch of pronouncements and uninvited suggestions. please take them for what they are. and please feel free to tell me i'm up my ass, or to ignore any or all of them.

i hope they will be helpful.

i don't knwo all the details of your situation, but i know a few.

----

understand that you are not capable of holding things together. no matter how hard you try, you just can't. understanding that is part of the solution.

----

you are not alone.

understand that other people want to help you and are willing to help you. but they don't want to step on your toes, and that they may not know what to do even if they are prepared to step up to the plate.

----

your husband is more than likely willing to do a lot of stuff. think through his day and his tasks. think about what he can do to take over some of the load. don't worry about being "fair". tell him that you know that it is an unfair/unbalanced load, but that is what you need from him.

write it down. if you can't bring yourself to the task of writing it down, have him write it down. tell him it is too daunting to even make the list. he will likely have useful additional ideas.

----

your kids will probably help. tell them you need the help. they iunderstand you are on the edge.

make a list. write it down. have your husband write it down - or a friend.

----

figure out which of your friends would be prepared to help you - how much and for how long.

tell them you need to impose on them and you don't know if you will ever be able to give back/repay the effort or time.

they will - that's why they are friends.

----

make a list of things they need to do. have one of them help you make the list.

have one of them come over and work with your kids on their to do/chore lists - to get the kids into the habit of doing their tasks without it being you who has to discipline or direct them.

have some people cook you meals that can be just re-heated

----

do everything you can to remove every task you can from your personal to do list.

work will likely be the only one that is left.

try to put together a plan that will give you at least 4-6 weeks of respite from your daily load

----

use the time to get to a counsellor

work up a plan with the counsellor to rebuild yourself including time for yourself, sunlight, and physical activity.

DO NOT MAKE THE PLAN TOO ABITIOUS!!!

stretch the plan over as long a period of time as you can.

share that plan with the people that are helping you.

----

you know what foods are feeding your depression - replace them with substitutes so that you can still fill the craving to eat/chew but you will not be feeding the biochemical elements of the depression.

----

i care about you

Mouthy Girl said...

You are a wonderous woman, mother, wife.

You are a dear friend of mine. When you're ready, lean on me.

You're not alone. You are enough. You WILL get through this. Not on your schedule...but when it's time. That's not fair...it just "is."

Much love, my friend. *hard hugs*

Anonymous said...

Been there. Sorry to hear you are there. I used to get in the car and wonder how far the tank of gas would take me.

Sometimes it was all I could do to go from one minute to the next.

Ask for the help you need. Make time to see the therapist. Take the meds. Hang on. You are worth the effort.

Nobody said...

I saw you post on Caddy's site...*gasp*... is TC back?!

TC my dear- we ALL go through funks. It is so annyong how when it rains in pours =(.

Regardless, I'm glad that you're here and still pushing. You have to do what's right for you, regardless, I'm glad that you're able to at least vent =)

I missed your posts!