Wednesday, January 17, 2007

poor, poor, poor me, poor, poor, pitiful me

what is that song? It's been playing my head since i published my last entry. Linda Ronstadt maybe? too lazy to google it... anyway, it is my self proclaimed theme song this week.

a dear friend called me yesterday just to check in. we spoke a few minutes and i asked her if she had read my blog - as i figured that's why she was checking on me.
nope. she just knew i had been in a funk and was being a good friend. thank heavens for good friends!

my personal philosophy has always been that everyone is entitled to a really good pity party every now and again. wallow in it. pour the pitifuls all over you. moan and wail. beat your chest. and then get your butt up and get on with it.

the irony in my current situation is that i have been getting on with it. everything is getting done. the kids fed, clothed, brushed, homework done (most days). groceries bought. house work kept up. job work maintained. on-time for all Dr appointments and with the exception of an occasional temper tantrum/blow-up (by me) when my kids are ignoring me deliberately - externally - things look okay.

i have had episodes in the past where i have sat, stared at my hands and cried for three days straight. last year i left home for 24 hours and sat in a local hotel room and cried, wrote, read and stared at the walls. this is not that.

i just feel like my spirit is spent. all used up.

i am planning the Valentine treats my kids will take to school for their classmates. gotta make 40 something of them. Easter treats are in the planning stages as well.
I have three kids birthday parties between now and the end of March to plan and execute. am working on a special gift for my father's 70th birthday this month.

my theory is that if i keep going through the motions. if i keep doing the things that have to be done. should be done. must be done. that somehow my spirit will replenish itself. and if i am wrong - and my insides remain stale - then at least i have taken care of my family and they will be better for it.

and you know - i know i am not special. that everyone has their own demons. their own battles. but what i really want to know - the question that has been rolling around in my mind is this - Are there people out there - with average to above average intelligence - that are happy? not necessarily living in bliss all the time. but let's say 80% of the time they are content with their life situation.

do average people exist that are content with their lives the vast majority of the time? and i do believe contentment is a process - not a place - it is something that must continually be fed and watered. so are there folks out there that nurture themselves enough to maintain a relatively high level of contentment and happiness in their lives?

and if the answer is Yes - then what on God's Green Earth do they know/do/take that i don't???!!!

okay, who thinks t_cole thinks too much - raise your hand.
yeah, that's what i thought...

thanks for your comments and for caring. ignore me if you must till i get back to where i should be. and please remember - i know i am not special in the fact that i am depressed. i am one in a billion. this is just my little corner where i choose to voice it.
join me if you like. you are always welcome in my little world. the people are crazy here - but very hospitable.


6 comments:

Nobody said...

I don't think that it's "unhappiness" that burdons the average person... it's being BOGGED down. With bills and schedules and shit to do.

Spirits crushed by more responsiblity than one can handle like Valentine's Day treats to make and Easter baskets to stuff and b-day presents to buy and parties to plan =).

The time and energy HAS to come from SOMEWHERE. And it's coming from the time and energy that (in a single or unattached person) goes to reading and spa and nap and gym and friend and martini and "me" time. "Sanity Time" if you will. Time to maintain your SELF.

We don't have that liberty with little children at home.

Then comes the depression and exhaustion and boredom and worthlessness.

I feel your pain. My life is ruled by a calender also. And some days I want to say
"fuck this", I'm not doing it today. But I can't. It's not an option.

As moms we HAVE to go through these motions. And though it is extremely rewarding... it is selfless and TOTALLY depletes the reserve for ourselves.

I SO get it, my dear...

t_cole said...

i knew you would.
i appreciate the clarification of my thought processes - i am a bit jumbled at the moment. you make it much clearer for me - and for that you have my sincerest gratitude.

Nobody said...

I wish that I had a solution...

I need one too?! Badly. Off to buy a lottery ticket... ;) ha ha

Anonymous said...

ever wonder why a man cannot remove 1-4 screws from a DVD player cover to retrieve his own stuck CD?

we need a pity party for a "man" who thinks himself techno-savvy, but ends up with people laughing at him.

he probably is unhappy, too. the pity party might be just the thing for him. would you mind?

t_cole said...

Mr. Anon -
you have two choices:
1. Join us
or
2. Throw your own pity party.
Either way - you have my whole hearted support.
t_cole

t_cole said...

Cat- promise i am working hard on finding the sunny side. feel free to kick my arse whenever the feeling hits ya. missed you too!

lil sis - thanks. you know me. i know you. we are the same in so many ways.