Thursday, June 14, 2007

meet Norma


this is Norma.




and her brand new TWIN babies.
(in my back yard)




we have been waiting on these boogers for at least two weeks now - just certain Norma was going to 'drop her calf' any day. imagine our surprise when she dropped TWO of them.




our neighbors cows graze our land. so technically, we have cow pastures around 3/4 of our home. so for the past two weeks, every time i went outside or drove away from the house, i'm like "where's Norma? has she had that baby yet? Nope, there she is - 8 ft long and 8 ft wide."

and yesterday, driving home from the Dr. - passing my neighbor's house, my neighbor, M, almost threw herself in front of my van to get my attention to stop. so i stopped, backed up and M tells me "Norma had her baby! TWINS!"

I gotta tell ya folks - that's pretty exciting around these parts.

Norma ain't just any cow. M raised her from a baby - abandoned on the side of the road - no nearby farmers one would claim her. So for M, that meant bottles every 4-6 hours for weeks/months. Norma is more like a child around here. ALL of M's cows (and Bull) have names. Norma's the only one I can identify and remember all the time. She is so tame and people friendly, she let me walk right up on her and her babies to take all kinds of pictures today.




This is Cody - he was jealous Norma was getting all the attention...
Camera Hog!





So congratulations Norma.


Ya done good!
I'm gonna miss days like this - when we move back to the city...


7 comments:

Not Fainthearted said...

CowS!

And that Cody reminds me of my Libby when my boys and I are in the same room. Always needing to make sure SHE's the one I have to look at. pfft

Anonymous said...

Awww, Auntie-TCole.....

I hope that you don't have to clean up the pies after she grazes...

Big Pissy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Big Pissy said...

Awwwww.....how purdy!!! ;-)

Pat & Reg said...

How totally awesome is Norma? You can go up to her anytime and pet her? Not fair. And horses too? Still not fair. But great photos. What's Norma's mom going to do with the babies when they grow up?

cadbury_vw said...

great story

it brought a very big smile to my face

Wien. said...

You are very lucky to have such lovely yard art. I'm envious. And the look on Cody's eye, priceless. I know that look, had three horses in my other life.
Hope you did well with all that rain I've been hearing about. I'm flying out to visit my mom in Texas next week, and hoping to miss out on that wet kind of fun.