Thursday, June 28, 2007

Texas Housewives Meeting - Don't Be Late


i got this picture in an email from a dear friend of mine. she knew how much i would enjoy it.


and i did enjoy it. so much so, i had to share it with you.


i grew up with guns and weapons and hunting and camouflage boxer shorts (not mine). i also grew up with a father that taught and demonstrated complete and uncompromising respect for the weapons and their potential power.


for my family, having a gun in the house is like having groceries in the pantry. one of my brothers has an extensive collection of guns and knives. and he is one of the most gentle souls i know.
he's a boy. it's his thing. big deal.


i am always just a bit amused by my international friends/colleagues amazement (shock!) when they find out that i am gun owner. that i know how to use one. and that we keep several in our home (locked and secured in a heavy duty gun safe.)
this is particularly amusing with folks that know me, have formed an opinion as to my character, education and intelligence. i am almost certain i blow away all their stereotypes of gun owners.
and no, i am not a member of the NRA. nor is anyone that lives in my house. the NRA give all gun owners a bad name and the only people that benefit from their political clout are thugs. (you knew there'd be an opinion in here somewhere...)


so the other day, a large dog was wondering our yard. a neighbor has moved and simply left his dog out here in the countryside to pretty much fend for itself. this is a LARGE male dog. one that i deem an immediate threat to my children when they play outside. an obvious threat to the dead kitten i found on my front porch last week.


i ask the hubby to get the gun and fire a warning shot to scare the animal away. he tells me that all his guns are packed and have been sent to storage.


"ALL of them?!"

"Yep. All of them."


"You mean we have NO guns in the house?!"

"Nope, no guns here."


suddenly i feel nekkid...
husband is immediately charged with the responsibility of borrowing a gun from the neighbor until we move.
can't go 'round nekkid with kitten killers on the prowl.

11 comments:

CaptMyron said...

you are a funny lady, t-cole.

t_cole said...

OMIGAWD!
YOUGOTTABLOG!
ICAN'TBREATH!
CAN'TWAITFOREVERYONETOMEETYOU!
WON'TTELLWHOYOUAREHERETILYOUDO!
IAMTOOEXCITEDTOPUTSPACESINMYSENTENCES!
NOWGOWRITESOMETHINGSOEVERYONECANSEEHOWBRILLANTYOUARE!

oh, and yes, i am very funny.

LOVE YOU!
tc

cadbury_vw said...

in a rural setting guns are entirely useful and appropriate

long guns, that is

along with hunters and target shooters, as long as properly screened and qualified

i suspect you may not have a large quantity of automatic or semi-automatic weapons around

MistaBone said...

Oh, I forgot...
Hello, Beautiful! I hope you're having a great Summer!!.I'm back in school, so writing will be little and far between... Don't forget me, & I'll be back soon...

MistaBone said...

Holy Hell... I wrote a big long soliloquy and blogger lost it!!! Feckin' Machines!!! UUUUUGH.
Sorry, Take care & I'll write again soon...
C

t_cole said...

Cadbury,
you are so precious. I am not comfortable discussing - in this forum - what weapons we actually have and why. if you would like to continue this discussion, email me.

Mista Bone -
Beautiful?!?! I think I love you. And of course I won't forget you - you are my political soul mate. =)
Just waiting on a good ol'fashioned rant from you on the current state of affairs.

tc

Mouthy Girl said...

Cole, I'm with you completely!

I bought my first gun about a month ago and will NEVER apologize for having it in the house.

Trite saying:
Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

I love that you're ready to give a warning shot to that kitten killer!

Big Pissy said...

I love that photograph!
Priceless! :)

Wien. said...

Hey T Cole, I am getting used to the dial up antique computer system my mom has here in her part of Texas, so it took me a bit to finally be able to get to your blog.
I'm learning to understand the gun thing here, specially when I saw a sign posted this morning at her bank saying to leave all guns outside. Too funny. It's almost a comforting feeling to know that one may have the choice of carrying personal protection, where as in Calif. I'd never see a sign like that.
Any way, hope all is well wiht you, and if this rain ever gives up I'm crossing my fingers that I can fly out of DFW on Thrusday. I'll only have a 5 hr. wait there, but totally worth it. I mean no disrespect from your state of Texas, but it just too far away from Baja for me!
Be well.
Wein

t_cole said...

Wien-
no disrespect taken...
Glad you are having a good summer and am HUGELY jealous to not be at a hot spot myself. I am sick to death of this rain.

Thanks for checking in. Was worried we might not hear from you for awhile.

safe travels!

Pissy - thought you might. =)

BG - good for you and your gun! My cousin's ex husband once told me - better to be tried by twelve than carried by eight. while he was a real SOB - there is some truth to that.
cheers!

cadbury_vw said...

[strong gun control supporter leaves the room knowing we have mighty tight laws up here in Canada, and that even with those laws all my rural friends can still shoot vermin and coyotes]