Friday, December 16, 2005

Brilliance Must Be Acknowledged

You would be out of luck if you counted on me to know the latest fashion trends or what's hot on the runways in Paris. The runways are in Paris, aren't they? Ask me what the latest grocery shopping outfit consist of - or what the mom's in the car-pools are wearing - THIS I know.

So for my upcoming trip to NYC, I figured I best perform a Wardrobe Review. Discovered that said wardrobe falls miserably short by NYC standards. So I convince my local fashion consultant - AKA Bestest Girlfriend from college that majored in Fashion Merchandising - to meet me on her lunch break to advise on my purchases. Note that she has not used this Fashion Merchandising degree professionally in 10 years - but in my mind she is still, and by far, The Expert.

So she helps me locate the Perfect Pair of Jeans. And she is the kind of woman/friend that is comfortable enuf with her self to tell me if my butt looks 'just okay' or 'really good.' we agree - these jeans - pretty darn good. She checks the length - so that I do not have what we used to refer to as High Waters. The medium length is just barely long enuf to meet the standard. I try on the long length. At least 2 inches too long. So we agree on the medium length.

Jeans purchased. brought home. worn and put in the dirty clothes. I knew these jeans could not go into the dryer. told my babysitter these jeans could not go into the dryer.

these jeans went into the dryer.

jeans are now officially too short to be worn with boots. I am devastated. this totally skews my planned NYC wardrobe. on the phone last night with another girlfriend bemoaning the fact that my now perfect, hip, butt-looks-good jeans are too short to wear with my cute new black cowboy-ish boots. (yes, we cover all the really important things in our conversations...)

And like any really good friend would - she commiserates with me. She is as mortified as I. We bat around a few possible solutions while i am working and she is baking. at the same time I explain to her that the sprinkles have to go on the cookies when they are hot - or they won't stick. our creative juices are flowing. And out of nowhere - BRILLIANCE.

She says - "just take the hem out, wash them and let them fray. I do it all the time." WOW! Why didn't I think of that? And if she does it - it must be the hip thing to do...

So I reach for the seam riper and begin the task of removing the hem. done. wash jeans. pull out this morning and Presto, Chango - they are PERFECT. (thanks SJC, IOU!)

NYC - Here I Come...

you've been warned....



4 comments:

t_cole said...

Why Cat, thank you so much for your kind words. You make my day!!! Glad you've joined the melee that is my life and my blog.

Congratulations to you on your 'work in progress'. and Mum's the word till after Christmas - won't tell a soul!
my very best to you and yours!
tcole

E said...

So funny! OK, I'm trying to catch up but I DID see your friend's advice on what to do if your jeans are a TAD too short. OH MY GOD!! GENIUS!!!! I am 5'8" and "regular" length jeans are always a bit too short but the "long" length are too long and I have to get them hemmed. I am going to bust out my seam ripper now... well, once I go buy one.

Thanks!
E

t_cole said...

E - My friend will be thrilled to know you like her idea too. She's 5'11" and I think she has used this trick for some time now - just been holding out on me...
at least she came through for me in the nick of time...
she's just that kind of friend! Always there when you REALLY need her! Glad you are back at home with your friends of this kind.

cheerful days to you and your pups.
tcole

Big Pissy said...

I must say, that was a genius idea! and your new boots sound cool, too.

Have a fabulous time in NYC!

p.s. my shoe pics finally posted! Check 'em out! :)