Monday, December 12, 2005

You know you're too busy when...

Your next door neighbor emails you to see how you're doing - she tells me she hasn't seen me lately and points out that I haven't updated my blog since the 4th. Ahhhhh, must be December.

And I LOVE December and Christmas and all things related to Christmas. I even love the hustle and bustle - up to a point. I am just before that point. At the moment, there is not a clear space of carpet in my bedroom for all the boxes and bags. Presents to wrap and mail. Presents to wrap and protect. Can't wrap and put under the tree as my Precious Darlings will either unwrap, step on (to get to their favorite ornament) or just simply destroy. So my room/office has become a repository for all things Christmas. Which really just serves to remind me - all day long - how much I have to do to get ready...

Wrap. Package. Ship.

I did get my Christmas Cards out. All 125 of them. I love sending Christmas Cards. I take at least a week to sign each one personally. Now I understand that everyone is busy and it is so convenient to buy those pre-signed cards. not me. Every single one has my authentic autograph in it. Some I write a short note. At the very least - I pick up the card. Match it to an already addressed envelope and spend a few minutes in thought about the person/family I am sending it to. So even if I don't get to write each one a quick message - I am able to think, reminisce and always, be grateful for the role this person/family has played in my life.

But the best part about Christmas cards is GETTING them. I love opening the mail in the month of December. I even love those newsy letters some people include. Pictures of the kids. a year older. missing teeth. suddenly awkward teenagers where little boys and girls once existed.

This year - a huge treat - a new 9" pre-lit Christmas tree - compliments of DH. WOW! what a surprise that was. And it is gorgeous - if I say so myself. My Christmas tree is like an open scrapbook of my life. I have ornaments that are 20+ years old. Every year, I take immense pleasure in unpacking, unwrapping, touching and hanging each and every ornament on my tree. I can tell you where every single one came from.



This one, the red clay star with the green lanyard hanger, is from camp in North Carolina. That summer I was 13 years old. We celebrated Christmas in July at camp. My Secret Santa made this for me. It's been on my tree every year since.







This wreath ornament I made. From antique buttons and a soft shiny, satin ribbon. The buttons and ribbons were from the little country store my Grandparents owned and operated in Stone County, Mississippi. I made three like this. One for me and one for a couple cousins. Must have been about 5, maybe 6 years ago.



The next year, my cousin in Jackson, Mississippi sent me this one on the left. A Mississippi ornament. Made from Mississippi clay by a Mississippi artist. I cried when I opened it. She knows where my heart is. The same emotion washes over me each year when I open the bright red box that protects this treasured ornament.

The sequined snowman face to the right of the Mississippi ornament is new this year. He was made by hand with love by a precious friend - also in Mississippi. I have numerous pieces of her priceless work adorning my tree.




This last one I will share is maybe my most treasured Christmas ornament. It is a unicorn. Hand whittled. Painted with a red marker. My Dad made this for me probably 10 years ago. He has severe arthritis - especially in his hands. It was uncomfortable for him when he created this piece. Now, it is all but impossible for him to do this type of small detail work.



So this is my Christmas tree - in many ways, the story of my life. Not just the ornaments - but the lights. Clear, unblinking, steady. Some lights are covered with red chili peppers - to add a little spice. The raffia garland - nice and neat around the top. skewed and messy at the bottom - thanks to my son. I worked daily to clean it up at first and finally decided to let this disarray be his contribution to my tree. Like me - a little of this, a little of that. Diversity. Waterford crystal ornaments along side the construction paper reindeer. I hang ornaments on the inner limbs to give it depth. and because I have so many stinking ornaments...




My Tree is well traveled - Chicago in 1985, Vail in 1991, Grenada in 1998, Moab in 2005.

Ornaments for my children. The horse and stable for Sam. Barbie (of course) for Savvy. Smith has yet to be defined - other than his Baby's First Christmas ornament. DH has tractor ornaments. Jeep ones. Car and truck ones - even a Santa made from a shotgun shell. (one of my personal redneck favorites.)

I love when company comes over so I can give them the guided tour of my tree. I have invited people over for the sole purpose of showing them my tree. But even better than pointing out my favorite ornaments - and telling the stories behind them - even better - WAY better - is when my kids get in on the act. When they pull our friends this way and that to show them their ornaments. with the lights sparkling in their eyes, the genuine excitement and pride in their voices - it makes me nervous (that they're going to pull the tree over in their enthusiasm) and proud at the same time. Nothing would be better than for them to have their own Scrapbook Christmas Tree - with their own stories one day.

1 comment:

t_cole said...

Thank you darling - we have TONS of great memories - don't we! Christmas was always wonderful. And yes, one day I will bolg about the bonfire...
love and hugs to you!
tcole