Sunday, December 18, 2005

Start Spreading the News . . . . .

So I made it - no thanks to the Taxi Driver from LaGuardia to my hotel. OMG! He scared the bejesus out of me. I finally found myself staring at the meter. I knew it would cost $30 or less so I knew how close I was by how much the fee was. Was never so happy to see $25 on the meter of a cab. The swerving, brakes, horns honking - AT US! Someone will have to sedate me before I get back in another one tomorrow to head back to the airport.

BC - Before Children - I traveled about 75% of the year. and I LOVED it. But when I got off the road - it was time and I was ready. Of course I was 8 months prego - who WOULDN'T be ready??? But every time I go out now - I am reminded of things I miss...

First and foremost are all the frequent flier miles - as they allowed me to upgrade to first class on a pretty regular basis. And I am not a snob, but once you have flown first class on flights longer than 3 hours - it's a real chore to do it in coach...
This morning - before 6am, I had to REALLY suck up the gate agent just to get a good seat. I was assigned a center seat in the rear of the plane. And while I am a people person, I abhor center seats. Was told when I checked my bag that I could check at the gate for a better seat. And I did. and Gate Lady wouldn't give it to me. I smiled so sweet. it hurt. She told me to check back 20 minutes before the flight departed. I hovered...
before long, I heard my name on the overhead speaker and BINGO - I got a window seat on row 11. Score!

I slept over half the flight. My seatmate - a young woman on her way home for the holidays from Stamford told me I didn't snore. No wet spots so apparently I didn't drool either. Audible exhale.

but I digress...
the other thing I miss about traveling is ROOM SERVICE. I LOVE room service. Especially when I am on an expense account. Dinner was divine and I have already placed my order for breakfast in the morning. If I thought I could get away with ordering a chocolate bar right about now - I would! Should have thought about that earlier when I ordered dinner. Maybe there's a mini bar in here somewhere...

And I could eat one tonight as I walked the entire length of Manhattan. Jiminy Crickets this place is huge. My feet hurt. My calves hurt. my ankles hurt. it's my own fault - wore my new cute cowboy boots today. And faithful readers - I have a picture of me in my boots and my frayed hem jeans posing in front of THE Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Centre. How cool is that??!! Will have to upload when I get home. No cable on the road.

So I miss first class and I miss room service... pretty pathetic when you look at it that way...
but considering the life I lead - day in and day out - snotty noses (sorry Mom - she hates that word) dirty diapers, sick kids and managing a family of five full time - I sincerely don't feel too guilty about my confession.

I almost have enuf miles accumulated for a round trip international ticket. won't be first class. won't be able to afford room service on my dime - but heck, I'm always up for an adventure. Any suggestions on a destination???

I'll go just about anywhere - anywhere I don't have to take a taxi...

2 comments:

E said...

Ooooooh, Greece! I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Greece.

Glad you go there safe and sound and yes, aren't expense accounts the best?! Enjoy!

t_cole said...

Greece appeals to me. Will have to consider that...

had lunch at Sardi's. was very cool. and i like just about all fare...

at the moment - trying to regroup - got home at midnight to a very sick child.
its never dull...