Wednesday, October 31, 2007

is this totally queer*?

(* queer as in weird, odd, geeky, stupid or silly)

i have written the following letter and plan to give it to Kasey Kahne tomorrow when Sam meets him. i know he can't read it on the spot - but was hoping he'd read it after the event. this is going to be such a HUGE deal for her - i just want him to know that. is that just too weird/odd/geeky/stupid/silly??? (in the actual letter, I put a picture of Sam in her Kasey Kahne t-shirt)


Dear Kasey,

This is my eight year old daughter Samantha - or as she prefers, Sam.

I am certain it is a HUGE deal for all of your fans to meet you in person & I am most grateful you make yourself available like this. I briefly wanted to share with you how BIG a deal it is for Sam to meet you & what it means to her to be a Kasey Kahne fan.

Sam has many challenges. She has normal intellect but works very hard to overcome ADHD, dyslexia, apraxia (a neurological issue that causes a profound speech delay) as well as the behavior issues that go hand in hand with the rest. She attends a private school in Dallas that provides an extremely intensive curriculum & therapies geared to her specific challenges.

Sam discovered NASCAR & YOU two years ago at Texas Motor Speedway. She earned a trip to the races because of her school work. We have 8 PSLs at TMS & each family member has their own driver they cheer for. Sam chose you as her driver (with a little direction from her Dad.)

At her first race, she did not leave her seat. Not for food, drinks, to explore & seldom for the bathroom. She did not fidget. She was transfixed. Through her headphones, she asks her dad repeatedly, "Where's #9, Daddy?" He helped her keep up with you throughout the race. And all this from a kid with severe ADHD.

She has worn out at least two Kasey t-shirts in two years. Is overly protective of her Kasey hats & sleeps with a Kasey pillow every night. And I do mean every single night. She lost the pillow once while she was visiting my family in Mississippi last summer. Pandemonium broke out & it NEVER happened again! (Her granddaddy actually put a nail in the wall by her bed to hang the pillow on.)

I know you have devoted fans. Some likely know every single published fact about you. Sam's not one of those. But she is devoted nonetheless. She's not into Disney stars, singers, actors or boy bands - you are IT for her. Rarely does a day go by without your name coming up in her conversations.

Meeting you today will be an experience Sam will never forget (and we'll likely never hear the end of.) If you have ever made the mistake of thinking that your life's work is only about cars, appearances, sponsors and the next big race - please allow me to convince you otherwise. You bring a great deal of happiness, excitement & joy to the every day life of one very special little girl in Small Town, Texas.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

*******************************

Feedback please. and QUICKLY...

8 comments:

Wien. said...

That is the best letter yet. I'm having to wipe mom-tears away so I can see the computer screen clearly! Make sure you send photos, more than one. Put one of her and her pillow in too, if it's not too late.
I am soooo excited for you all and for that chance in a life time meeting with Sam's hero.
All the best!!!
W.

Anonymous said...

Not queer in the least.

That's a great letter, and I hope that it touches him as much as it did me.

CP said...

That was a beautiful letter...something he will treasure always I am sure. good job, Mom!

CP

DIXIECHICK said...

That letter is wonderful...I am sure he will love it.

KC said...

I don't know who Kasey Kahne is, but if your daughter is enthralled by him and you approve, then hey! it's a great letter and should be one that he hangs onto forever. He's lucky to have such a fan!

Mouthy Girl said...

You ass! That is NOT queer!

I have no doubt that he'll read it and you'll hear back from him or a publicist afterwards. For real.

Well written. Period. Your love for Sam has never been questioned by me. Your ability to parent her and all of her challenges have always been evident to me. This letter? People who don't know you should be able to see an amazing snapshot of your daughter and her wonderful mother.

Big Pissy said...

I know I'm late with this...but what Buddha Girl said! ;-)

Hope it went well! :)

Ms. Junie said...

I'm late too-- but it was perfect!