Wednesday, February 20, 2008

get over yourself

is what I would tell myself if I was my friend and knew what was going through my mind in regards to my 40th birthday.

for some reason - and i don't know why - I am spending an inordinate amount of time obsessing about this birthday.

it's just stupid. really.
i know that.

and I can't decide if it is because i am bothered about being older. i mean remember when you were 18 and 40 was ancient. I mean REALLY old.
Yeah, I remember that too.
now 18 seems unbelievably YOUNG!
when did that happen?

And part of it is that I would LOVE a big huge party with all my friends there.
But that would require funds we don't have. Need to be dumping moola into finishing our master bath so we can relist the house and move closer to Sam's school.

Pretty sure hubby is getting me the Bon Jovi tickets. And I am split on my emotions on that too. I really want to go to the show. I really want good seats. But again, the MATURE responsible adult in me knows that we should spend the money on the house and moving.

Tomorrow we have to pay a $1000 deposit for Sam's school. Just paid our land taxes - which are obnoxiously high in Texas because we don't have state income taxes. Money is flying out off the checkbook. Christmas was a Cash Only affair, both grandfathers and two kids have just had birthdays. So needless to say - we are cash poor right now.

so maybe it just sucks to be turning 40 and not have any discretionary income to do with what I want. At the same time being responsible enough to not go on a credit card binge to get and do what I really want.

Like I said - Get.Over.Yourself, tcole

Post Note - To those of you out there with real problems, I apologize for complaining over nothing...

8 comments:

Ms. Junie said...

But 40 is the new 30..and you will celebrate however you can or want..eventually when you feel ready you can have an even bigger bash..because really in today's terms..you're not REALLY turning 40..Thirty-ten maybe.

t_cole said...

lol.
thanks - i needed that!

Amber said...

There is so much more to you than your age. You're a great mother...GREAT MOTHER, you're responsible, kind, caring, loyal to others AND to yourself which I find inspiring. If you are what it means to be 40, sign me up!!!!

As far as how you should celebrate, you are responsible, you wear many hats, you took your daughter to meet Casey Cane, you deserve one night of "livin' on a prayer"!

Wien. said...

Don't ever apologize for complaining over nothing. Your feelings count too missy. And please don't fret too much over your birthday. Celebrate you, not the number, cause that's all it is, a number. You are much, much more than that to many people. I don't think it's so much about how one celebrates a birthday, but how we live each year between them.
W.

Shelley Jaffe said...

t-cole: Problems are problems - there's no competition here. Stop apologizing. And while see JBJ may seem like an extravagance right now, using money alloted for a well-deserved birthday gift for something practical would just be false economy. Rock out, and fill up your well!!

Anonymous said...

It's YOUR birthday. The whole, ENTIRE WORLD should be celebrating the fabulousness that is You.

I know I will be.

t_cole said...

Scarlett - you flatter me so.
don't stop...

Thanks Wien for reminding me to live every day - not just the birthday.

BVB - you make such good sen$e...
It sounds perfectly reasonable coming from you!

And Cat - you make me BLUSH!

Thank Ya'll - one and all. You really REALLY do make me feel better about this nonsense.

And i was right - one of my girlfriend posse IM'd me today and told me to GET OVER IT.
She knows me so well...

Mouthy Girl said...

Complain on, sister!

When you go to see Jon and the boys, you'd better channel some of their greatness my way because my poor ass is JEALOUS!