Thursday, February 07, 2008

good news - bad news

The Good -
Sam's fever is non-existent this morning. And no one else is showing symptoms of the flu. I take back what I said about the CDC.
I always said that you could inject Savvy with Ebola and she would not even get a sniffle. The child has a top notch immune system. We are seriously testing that theory this week.

The Bad -
In an attempt to entertain aforementioned kids inside this week, I put a king size sheet over my ANTIQUE dining room table yesterday to make a 'house' for them to play in. Thinking the worst possible thing that could happen is that they might bump their sweet little heads on it while going in and out.

That's what I get for thinking...

This morning Savvy tells Sam she needs to check the chimney on the "house". And we all know where the chimney is, right? On TOP of the "house". So I hear BAM and then Smith wailing...

I go into the dining room and my ANTIQUE dining room table is COMPLETELY upside down. All four legs up in the air. Sam had climbed on top of the table to check the chimney - as she was instructed to do by her bossy little sister. Her weight on one end, FLIPPED THE DAMN* THING COMPLETELY OVER. Scared the shit* out of every one of them.

Lucky as hell* someone's head was not crushed in the process. My dining room does not have carpet or wood floors. We are talking HARD CERAMIC TILES here peeps.

In my questioning rage of WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING that ensued, Savvy says - "she (Sam) had checked the chimney before...."

YOU MEAN SHE HAD ALREADY BEEN ON TOP OF MY TABLE????!!!!
AND WHAT MADE YOU THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA????


* This JUST happened and my language choices reflect the immediacy of my angst.



9 comments:

cadbury_vw said...

i had palpitations just reading your description of the event

holy shit

it's gonna take you at least all day to get over that one

t_cole said...

oh Cadbury - you have not idea.
Since the mad wore off - i keep thinking about one of their little heads being under the edge of that table when it came down.
Or an arm or a leg.
We got so lucky.

Of course Savvy gets no TV for the rest of the week (Inc. Sat and Sun) and she does not think that is very lucky...

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it is truly amazing how lucky they are to survive childhood!

Very glad every one is OK....including you, MOM! (breathe)

Mouthy Girl said...

1. The flu sucks ass.
2. Antique tables flipping a kid = bad mojo.
3. I admire your restraint after said table flipping.
4. I'm calling your husband and instructing him to purchase Bon Jovi tickets for your birtday. So there.

t_cole said...

BG - you still got my home number?
HeeHee

Not - Yes, we are fine - so to speak. and i am grateful for that! but it did take years off my life.

Wien. said...

Well, you might not like my reply, B U T how many times did we as kids build tents and forts and hideouts out of sheets and couch cushions? In trees on branches that probably shouldn't have held our weight? Many times. We had close calls to, but lessons were learned. They learned about balance, about weight distribution, risk taking, trial and error. Granted, they could have been hurt, but they weren't.
The old fashioned imaginary fun that they had was something that kids today don't get much of. It's mostly electronic or scheduled or supervised to the point that every move is pre-set and planned for them ahead of time.
I have a feeling that if you were to allow them to build another house, they would not be checking the chimney again. It was an honest kid's mistake that shows your children have a wonderful sense of imagination.
W.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Yowza's. It was bad enough reading the table falling over (yes, imagining little heads and appendages) hitting carpet... ceramic???

So now that we know the kids are ok, how is the table and floor???

Amber said...

I remember my mom telling me that I could always find away to break something. I would get so mad when she would say that, but looking back...she was right. I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. I'm sorry about your table though.

t_cole said...

Is no prob. The table is fine. my nerves have returned to somewhat normal ranges...
We'll all live.
at least for now...