Thursday, November 03, 2005

To My Mother...

Why every day is Mother's Day for my Mom...


You know how to make ice cream from snow.

You brought me two beautiful baby brothers home from the hospital.

You let me sleep with you and Daddy when I was a little girl - just how did we get those baby brothers???

You sent me off to explore and conquer the world - and you brought me back home when the world had conquered me.

You supported the high school band because you knew how much I loved it.

You carted me to piano lessons, art lessons, dancing lessons, theater workshops, the dentist, orthodontist and Lord only knows how many doctor visits. . .

You let my friends spend the night - guys and girls - and you acted like it was no big deal.

You treat me like I matter.

You taught me to blow my own horn.

You value honesty, hard work and responsibility - and now - so do I.

You woke me up early on Saturdays - I still haven't forgiven you that one.

You taught me that housework and chores would not kill me - might make me sweat - but that it is a noble and necessary task. Because of this, I can now take care of and nurture the home my family lives in.

You taught me to respect, love and cherish my Grandparents. To worship, love and adore my Father. And to love, value and appreciate my Brothers. And that my loyalty to my family supercedes everything else. absolutely everything!

You also taught me that there are bonds of love and family that are stronger than blood and that these 'chosen' families are to be acknowledged and treasured.

You made peppermint wreathes and hand-painted Christmas ornaments for all my home rooms. Do you know these people tell me that they hang their ornament on their tree every year?

You and Daddy could not get to the Jr. High fast enough to hold me when Sol Britt was shot.

You did not banish me every time I yelled, "I HATE YOU!"

You let me cry (and made Daddy cry) to teach me a lesson about being on time.

You would only let me spend $20 at the County Fair - for the whole week!

You always made sure we had the newest, coolest, neatest costumes for Halloween EVERY year!

You were able to give me my freedom when it was time - and only now I can appreciate the wisdom it took to know when that time was actually upon us.

You taught me that there is such a thing as unrequited love. If only you could have made it go away... I know you wanted to.

Christmas is a celebration.

We took a vacation to the beach every summer that I can remember.

You always had to know, and usually speak to, at least one of the chaperones at the high school dances I attended. I get it, now.

You tell me I'm not crazy - not sure how much value that has considering the source.

You didn't preach when I thought smoking was cool.

You supported and encouraged me unconditionally and without a trace of smugness when I footed the bill - the second time - for straight teeth.

You let me 'mother' Sam Ethan.

You let me wear your jewelry and forgave me when I broke it or kept it or both.

You cried with me and held my hand when my children were born.

No comments: