Monday, January 30, 2006

confessions of a fat girl

i am not sure i want to write this entry. been thinking about it for almost a week. but even if i don't want to write it, i feel compelled to.

so here goes....

I am writing this for those of you who know exactly where i am coming from - you've been there - done that. but this is also for those of you that have never been fat a day in your life. and it's for those of you with the bumper sticker "NO FAT CHICKS ALLOWED" on your rigs. (you know who you are)

but most of all, i write this for me. to let my inner voice be heard

i am fat.

have been for the vast majority of my life. i have dieted, fasted, starved, binged, purged, excercised, prayed, begged and cried for this to change.

i take ownership of my body and my issues. the shape i am in is no one's responsibility but my own. there is no blame game here. but please note - i am not lazy. nor am i out of control. i do not eat cookies and ice cream every day of my life. i know what a proper serving from every food group consists of. i can tell you how many servings of each - for my height, age and weight - i should have every day.

but in plain english - i eat too much and do not exercise enough. it's a simple formula. i am an intelligent woman. i do the math on this formula every single day. and slowly, the weight has been coming off. very slowly.


my weight issue began during puberty. 'baby fat' my aunt used to call it. "You'll outgrow it and all the boys will see how beautiful you are."

but you know - i never did - outgrow it.

almost every relationship i have ever had my entire life has been affected by this physical attribute of my person - my weight. friendships, boyfriends, parents, husband, children, siblings, grandparents, teachers, crushes, co-workers - the list is endless.

so not only am i fat - i am (and always have been) loud, opinionated and out-spoken. this is a lethal combination if you do not wish to be a target.

i am not in short supply of fat stories to share with you. i could write for the rest of my life and not get them all out of my head. but the following incidents really sum it all up for me...

when i was a kid - somewhere around 4 or 5 years old, i had a playmate. scott. his family lived in another town but came to visit several times a year. his mom and my mom were friends so when they'd get together to visit, scott and i would play. i adored him - as young friends do. innocently and sweetly. his mom was Filipino and my friend had darker skin than i. he was also a chubby kid - though i never noticed - until someone pointed it out to me.

on day i invited scott to my pre-k class with me. we had a great time. until some of the kids in my class started calling my friend Fat Albert. I clearly remember being completely undone. i stuck up for him - prolly socked one of the name-callers in the nose. and while my recollection of the exact events is fuzzy - my memory of the emotion evoked is crystal clear. i was hurt and indignant on behalf of my friend and i did not tolerate this behavior from my classmates.

fast forward to high school. 15 or 16 years old. summer. band camp. out behind the band hall after practice. scott is there - with some of his friends - guys i actually went to school and church with. one of these guys is making fun of me. saying really mean things. hateful. i am embarrassed. humiliated. hurt.

scott says nothing. he laughs at his friends comments. at me.

a few nights later, i awake in my bed. crying. hot burning tears. cannot go back to sleep. tossing and turning. i am still hurt from the incident behind the band hall. couldn't figure it out - stuff like this happened all the time. by this time, i was almost used to be teased and picked on. why was !this! waking me from a sound sleep?!

then it hit me. as a small child, i knew what it was to be a friend. to not tolerate injustice of any kind. especially when directed toward my dear, sweet friend. and then scott, as a young man - someone that had remained my friend through the years - let me down.
his silence and his laughter hurt worse than any mean-spirited comment i'd ever received.

fast forward again. college. Jr Year. i had lost a ton of weight. fasted 15 weeks on that optifast protein shake thing.
and if i say so myself, (and you know i will) i was One Red Hot Moma. was home visiting my family and ran into scott. he was older and quite gorgeous himself. and HE was into ME. he and some friends were going to new orleans for the weekend and he INSISTED i go with them. and i wanted to go sooooooo bad. i ran home to pack my bag and tell my mom my plans. for the first time in many years, she put her foot down and said absolutely not. i could not go. something about over her dead body.
how dare she?!!!!
heated argument ensued and i was reminded - by her - of everything i have just shared with you.
she won.
i didn't go.
she was right. (Yes, Mother, I said you were right.)

what's the lesson here, you ask? it's not about the kind of person scott is or was. the lesson here has little to do with my hurt feelings in high school. and as i sit here, i even consider that there is no moral message to this tale. just a demonstration of how wacked out my thought process was/is as i was willing to sacrifice my dignity - sell my soul even - to be accepted by someone i had known and adored my whole life - even after this person had treated me poorly because of my outer appearance and was now treating me lustfully because of the same outer appearance. (how's that for a run-on sentence???)

i had no respect for myself when i was heavy. i had even less respect for myself when thin. in every rejection - of any kind - my first thought was always that it was about me being fat.
if i liked a boy - and he didn't like me, it was because i was fat.
if i didn't make an audition, it was because i was fat.
if i had a job interview and was turned down, 'cause i was fat.
FAT was a crutch my whole life. i knew it at the time - that i was using it as such. i knew it was possible the boy didn't like me because i was too bossy or loud-mouthed or simply wasn't his type. i also knew when i didn't make the audition cut it could be because i wasn't the most talented one. or the most qualified in a job interview. but invariably, i ALWAYS went to the fat excuse first.
for the most part, i don't do that now. blame the fat first.

time, experience, maturity and a nearly unshakeable sense of self have allowed me the luxury and pleasures of living my life without many of the uncertainties of my youth.

but i'd be lying if i told you fat is no longer an issue in my life. we wouldn't be here talking about this if i was completely 'over it.'


when i started this blog, i decided up front to put my picture on it. i actually like my profile picture. i think my brother in law - the photographer - is brilliant. but i put this photo out there not so much out of vanity but primarily so when people read this log, they know exactly who they were dealing with.

a fat girl.

in one of my very first entries, there is a full length photo of me and hubby from this summer in moab, utah. it's a great photo - we are on vacation and the scenery is breathtaking from the top of Lion's Back.

but again, my underlying motivation - i want people (you) to know who i am, warts and all. no surprises. so if you read my blog. if you make comments. if we become 'blog' friends. i know that you know who i am. what i am. and that you accept me - straight out of the box - no modifications required.

and maybe that's crazy too. we don't know what most people look like or who they are in this great giant blogosphere. i never once claimed sanity as an attribute.

bottom line - i still have a few minor hang-ups on this fat thing.
i still want to be fit. healthy. but now, it's not so much about me. i want to be a good example for the two daughters and one son i am raising. i want to be able to run and jump and play with them. and snow ski, water ski, dance and ride horses with them. i want them to have a mommy that doesn't embarrass them because she's the fat mommy. i want them to learn to value their bodies. and how to properly take care of and nurture themselves.

it took me a long time, but i'm comfortable in my own skin. i flat-out like me.

and if you don't. your loss. so sorry. see ya.

12 comments:

Mouthy Girl said...

You are one amazing, sharp, intense, beautiful, intelligent, empathetic woman. I could go on with the modifiers...could list so many more words to describe who you are in this world.

The nitty gritty of it is this: Unless they've been there, they can't understand. It's a fact of life. I've been there. I know. You know. You're my sister. Period. You're one of the people I love today. Go check your email, you hottie!

Nobody said...

Wow, that was an amazingly honest post. I am so glad that I found my way to your blog. Your posts are so raw. I really admire it.

For what it's worth, you are beautiful TC. I have seen the pics, face and full-length, and you are not what I would ever describe as a "fat girl". Though we are always hard on ourselves. We women are really bad about that...

It's funny, as Flamingo showed his face today. Looks like the theme of the day is coming clean...

Congrats. It took courage ;)

t_cole said...

bg and nwg - you are two of the women that i really admire, respect, enjoy and appreciate out here in blog world. thank you for your time and your encouragement. it sincerely - SINCERELY - means a great deal to me.
thank you!

KC said...

Very heartfelt post. I'm glad you wrote about it. One day maybe I'll be as honest as you in my blog, but I'm just not ready for it yet. Not that I lie. More like I just don't admit to a lot of things.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

So much of this rang true with me. My mother was really big, big voice, big hair, big behind- you know, and she worried about me being fat. As a result I went all the way through elementary school as the fat kid with no hand eye coordination. When all the members of my family gathered at my mother's death bed and funeral, we sat for hours and looked at pictures. The thing that shocked me was that I wasn't any fatter than the other kids. (I am 260 now, and the pictures show it, sigh) It is shocking how we develop a concept of ourselves and spend a whole life with it. Enough to make a grown man cry.

I looked at your pictures, and You Aint Fat honey. You are luscious. The Newspapers and televison and advertising spends enormous effort to convince people that unless they are borderline bulimic looking, rich, and wear name brand clothes there is something wrong with us. There isn't!! I think women with a little meat on their bones are so much more beautiful than the skinny folks. I'm glad you have learned to like you. Look at yourself in a full length mirror at least once a day and say YUMMY! Then look at your man's eyes when he looks at you and say it again.

Anonymous said...

t, i think sooo many of us struggle with the same demons. i agree that this took alot of courage. you are beautiful just the way you are! i have always struggled with self-image issues also (as you already know). its great to get to that place where we feel more comfortable in our own skin but sometimes a challenge to keep the voices in check. thanks for saying it out loud. i am so proud to know that you are my friend. you are awesome! be good to yourself!

~sjc

Pixie said...

You are beautiful, your profile picture says it all.I too have always been on the larger side of what society deems we women should look like.This last year I have put even more weight on I blame it on not working and just sitting home everyday at the PC( yes I could excersise but it doesnt motivate me doing it alone in an apartment)I could get out and walk but really there is nothing of interest to walk to around here, once you have been to the mall once or twice it then looses interest. what I really want is to get back to work have money to join a gym or something, I could join a gym now but A) I have no drivers liscence and to get anywhere here you need to drive.
B) I dont think it fair to expect WP to stump up the subscription to a gym when he supports me with everything else and I earn nothing.

What really pisses me off is the media instilling into young girls that we should all be skinny ( sometimes too skinny) if we are not then we are a lesser person.

Great post tcole, I am not even brave enough to put my picture on my blog let alone post as deeply as you do!

Big Pissy said...

t: I remember the first time I visited your blog. I saw your profile pic and thought: what a pretty woman! Love her curls! and she looks like she'd be so sweet! I have come to find out that you are as pretty as your picture~both inside and out. :)

A while back I was reading some of your old posts. I came across that pic of you and your hubby. I didn't think then and do not think now that you're fat!
Silly girl!

That being said, I do understand to a degree what you're talking about. My mother (who died at age 47 due to obesity) was fat her entire life. Most of my memories of her are of her being miserable b/c of her weight. She couldn't drive~ too obese to fit behind the steering wheel of a car. She couldn't have nice cloths. Back then, nice clothes weren't made for fat ladies. She couldn't even bend over to shave her own legs. I did it for her. How degrading must that have been? To have your little girl help you with personal hygiene b/c you're too big to do it yourself....
I can remember my brothers getting in to fights with neighborhood kids b/c they made fun of my mom. My mother's weight took it's toll on our entire family....

You are doing the right thing by dealing with your issue now. Not letting it go. Not letting your children be the kids with the "fat" mom. I know how that is.

I'm proud of you for this post. You are such a strong woman~so talented and beautiful. I know that you can do whatever you set your mind to.

Besitos!!!

Pissy

Anonymous said...

Nine requisites for contented living: Health
enough to make work a pleasure. Wealth enough to
support your needs. Strength to battle with
difficulties and overcome them. Grace enough to
confess your sins and forsake them. Patience
enough to toil until some good is accomplished.
Charity enough to see some good in your neighbor.
Love enough to move you to be useful and helpful
to others. Faith enough to make real the things
of God. Hope enough to remove all anxious fears
concerning the future.

You will notice self doubt is not on the list. Good to see you no longer recognise it.

Be safe, be happy, be you


Chris

t_cole said...

when i wrote this piece, i was NOT fishing for compliments or affirmations. it didn't even occur to me - honestly - that you guys would respond in the way you have. i was more worried about someone coming along and making hateful remarks...

but you've used words like brave and raw and honest and courage to describe me and/or my writing. and those are mighty powerful words you have assigned to me. thank you. i am touched.

Mr 3 score & 10 or more -
i love you. if you were here, i'd molest you. no one in all my life has ever called me LUSCIOUS and i have been flat out giddy all day because of your comment.
***********************************

this is just me.
i think.
i write.
i have always said i am a "what you see is what you get" kind of gal.

i'm just trying to be true to me.
you are generous and very kind to allow me this luxury.

Christi Nielsen said...

Wonderful honesty. You have a way of expressing verbally that which I cannot. That's why I use imagery instead.

I so relate to the whole selling your dignity/Scott situation. If I had an out of body experience, I fear I would look down and see a lost soul.

joanna said...

Thanks for a great post. While I didn't grow up as a "plump" kid, I gained a lot of weight after 2 pregnancys. It's hard adjusting to the new me, but when I feel frustrated, especially after a phone call from my Mom who has never not been on a diet (and is a petite size six), I try to remember it was this amazing body that brought 2 9lb. plus babies into the world. What's more important? A thin body or 2 healthy and happy kids? They and my husband love me as I am. I should, too.

Besides, what's so sexy about a size 2 stick?