Saturday, January 07, 2006

I HATE BARBIE

i didn't start off my life hating Barbie. i liked her as a kid. I even wanted to be Barbie when I grew up. Long blonde hair, always wearing high heels, 13 inch waist. 54 inch boobies, 36 inch hips. i got the boobies...

i loved going over to my friend Paulette's house 'cause she had the best Barbie collection of all my friends.

but several years ago, BC (before children) i was Christmas shopping for my husband's nieces. i was told they liked Barbie dolls. so off i went in search of Barbie dolls. it took me less than five minutes to realize i was not going to enjoy this Barbie shopping experience.

i am not a fire-breathing feminist by no stretch of the imagination. i like having the door held open for me, the chair pulled out and i am putty when a man helps me on with my coat. but there are some gender role stereotypes i absolutely cannot abide...

so there, in Barbie Shopping Hell, i find Itty Bitty Teenie Weenie Polka Dot Bikini Barbie. Prom Dress Gone Bad Barbie. Waitress Barbie. Candy Stripper Barbie. i even found Flight Attendant Barbie. And there I was, muttering out loud to myself -
"Where in the Hell is Neurosurgeon Surgeon Barbie, Jet Fighter Pilot Barbie, Quantum Physicist Barbie or Supreme Court Justice Barbie??!!"

I settled on two Veterinarian Barbies because they were the only ones offered that required Barbie to go to college for a minimum of four years.

so my distaste for Barbie was born...

and then i had two girls of my own. was able to skip Barbie Hell with my first one - she prefers trucks and horses to dolls and purses.


but the second one - the one in PreK - she is a Barbie Girl. not just the dolls, but the barbie flip flops, Barbie lip-gloss, Barbie pajamas, Barbie shirts, Barbie shoes, Barbie books, Barbie backpacks, BARBIE TOOTHPASTE!!!!

but today, it was the Barbie dolls and Barbie doll accessories that nearly did me in. it was clean up her room day. which meant start at the corner opposite the door - the closet - and work your way out. for those of you who haven't bought or given a Barbie lately, they don't just come with an outfit and a pair of shoes anymore. NOOOOOOO. There are belts, purses, suitcases, cell phones, perfume bottles, lipsticks, mirrors, TWO pairs of shoes, hats, wraps, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera and so forth and so on, blah, blah, blah...

and all this crap had been strowed from one end of creation to the other. not only that, but those sneaky little Barbie dolls either 1.went shopping without me (the bitches) or 2.have a garment factory somewhere in that room that i did not locate. there were FIVE times the amount of clothes and accessories in that room than I have brought or allowed into this house.

and nekkid - did i mention that. every single one of them stark butt-bare nekkid. Jeff Foxworthy (of "you might be a redneck" fame) does a skit about his daughters and nekkid Barbies and it is funny. really funny. there was no humor in it all all today in my life.
so we ( i ) dressed and picked up and cleaned and cussed (i cussed - not the 4 year old - at least not where i could hear her.) And we finally got the majority of them suitably attired and returned to their proper place. Their proper place being further evidence of my innate brilliance. I bought one of those over the door shoe holders - that's where we store the Barbies and miscellaneous other dolls.


the 1,348 Barbie Accessories are in a snap-lock tupperware container i buried out in the back yard...

12 comments:

Big Pissy said...

Ahhhhhh....the Barbie days....

This probably isn't going to make you feel any better, but my girls are in their 20's (which you probably already knew) and I STILL find Barbie stuff in unexpected places. :)

None of us can stand the thought of parting with the dreamhouse or the silver corvette or the pink streach limo. They currently reside on top of the extra fridge out in the laundry room.

I kinda like your idea of burying the stuff in the yard-a "time capsule"!

t_cole said...

i'm so thrilled this is bringing back such wonderful memories for you guys. really i am. :)

just pack those memories up and bring them over here the next time it's clean up Savvy's room day.

we'll have barbie cocktail hour and organize and redecorate together....

Pixie said...

Cindy was bigger in the UK in my day ( Barbie has since opusted her of the top spot)I loved to play with them but there were nowhere near the accessories they have today.And todays stuff is nowhere near as well made.
But I agree its time Barbie stopped playing up to mens idea of how women should look and act and took control of her life!!.

Nobody said...

I wasn't allowed to play with Barbie. According to my mom... she was "sexist".

Your best to let her do the Barbie thing, as painful as it is.he he

To this day... I love high heels and ironically, I have bought myself a few Barbies for shits and grins!!

They sit on my mantle awaiting my mom's visits!! Kidding...;)

Big Pissy said...

t: are you kidding? cocktail hour, playing with Barbies, redecorating AND organizing? Throw in some shopping and you've described a perfect day to me! I'm there!

Oh, and some "snickity snacks"!!!! ha!

t_cole said...

god, i luv ya, pissy!
i was hoping it was an offer you couldn't refuse...
i'm all over it - snickity snacks and all.
damned barbies are all nekkid again - so it won't be long now.

t_cole said...

hey nwg - so if the barbies are not on the mantle, where do ya hide them???

Nobody said...

In the same drawer as my vibrator ;)

he he

t_cole said...

lmao
should have known....
btw, like yer new digs...

KC said...

Since I had a boy, I never had to deal with the Barbie stuff all over the house. That doesn't mean, though, that The Boy's room is clean and straight... oh no! It's covered (bed, floor, desk, entertainment center)with X-Box and PS2 games, CD's, books, socks, underwear, dirty dishes, etc. At least the Barbie stuff would be more colorful and pretty than all this boy stuff.

t_cole said...

just my luck - i have 2 girls AND a boy...

wouldn't trade 'em for nothing.
wouldn't give a plug nickle for another one.

thanks KC - for pointing out that i have something to look forward to...

Freddie G. May said...

Since we will never in person meet nor will I ask for your personal address or phone number, I can honestly speak Barbie dolls are not the problem. Being a male who has had them from the age of twelve as well as other toys, my observation has been that the problem is the inability to keep separate fantasy from reality. Toys are only fantasy. All of them are inferior to the real things. I love my diecast Since we will never in person meet nor will I ask for your personal address or phone number, I can honestly speak model planes and ships even though in reality I can neither swim nor fly because of an extreme fear of great heights. If I tried to make these toys a reality then I would either drown or die of a heart attack. The toys allow me to imagine those things that I would never in reality do. I buy the Barbies that suit my taste and personality. They are a mass produced commodity .unlike living and breathing females. I can enjoy the beauty of my Barbies as toys but not as a beauty standard for real females. To try and conform them to this doll results in a warped sense of what natural beauty is in the real world. Fantasy has its place. However, reality by it should not be displaced. Having Barbie taught me to not judge females on outward appearance alone. So what if a female is very attractive, if she is disgusting on the inside? The media has warped society by the exclusion of reality from magazines, movies, and television by shoving unrealistic images in our faces. They devalue who we really are and praise what we cannot attain. When I look at Barbie, never had I saw a perfect form. The flaws were quite evident. However, I loved the doll in spite of them. That is also how I viewed those with whom I have dated. Though I had muscular action figures, I knew that my body could never be like theirs. Therefore, I could only be the best that I can be in reality. Concerning the ones only push unrealistic images in our face having common sense, there is not any.