Tuesday, January 17, 2006

just another day in paradise

an old friend used to say that to me. whatever in the hell that means...

so here i am. mother to three.

in the next two months, they turn 7, 2 and 5 - in that order.
i turn 38 in between the 2 and the 5.


being a mother and a wife makes me miss the days when i was just me. an entity unto myself. yes, i feel selfish hearing that come from my mouth. and the irony of it is i can't even remember what that felt like - being my own person. yes, i have memories of my past. of course i do. but from the moment my first child was born, i ceased to remember what it felt like to not be a mother. the part of me that existed in the singular was gone. my whole inner compass shifted. and this is not a bad thing. not at all. just how it is - for me.

there was a picture taken of me right after my daughter was born. very few people have ever seen this photo. it is so personal and intimate, i actually find it difficult to share it with anyone. and for me to not share something about myself, that's pretty unusual. it was taken by my mother. in the delivery room. my husband had just placed our daughter in my arms for the first time. i am sobbing as i cradle my precious baby girl. that's it - just a mother holding a swaddled newborn. and crying.

but when i look at that picture, i can still feel that exact raw emotion in my soul. the awe at the birth i had just participated in. the admiration of this new creature. the relief at ten fingers and ten toes. the gratitude. the joy. the unbelievable love and that fierce sense of protection mother bears have for their cubs.

it's the first picture of the new me. the mother me.

so every now and then i go searching for the woman i think i am now. or more accurately, the woman i think i should be.

and am i really a woman?
already.
i feel more like a girl.
i inadvertently deceive myself into believing i can separate the different personas that inhabit this body.


~ woman ~ daughter ~ sister ~ wife ~ mother ~ girlfriend ~ woman ~

i attempt to compartmentalize the roles i play. then i try to define myself. most often i lose myself in the ebb and flow of everyday banalities.

and then i feel adrift. as i do now. trying to make sense of the mundane details.


i do not think myself special or unique in this dissection of self. i think all women do battle with expectations, dreams, labels, responsibilities, fantasies, reality...

perhaps men have the same battles.
i can only speak to what i know is true for me.

so what are my truths? where does my reality lie? how do i define myself?

i am conviction. i am indecision.
i am strength. i am fragile.
i am perfect. i am falliable.
i am coarse. i am feminine.
i am intellect. i am emotion.

i am a woman

i am undefinable


11 comments:

Pixie said...

What a lovely post.

Anonymous said...

You know what-
I'll be 37 in 2 days and I was just thinking some of these same thoughts this morning. we must be on the same wave length. You did a terrific job at putting it all into words. WOW. Beautiful and sooo true.
I know after having Isabella my whole identity began to revolve around me as mommy. I am now mostly referred to as dear Isabella's mommy versus me by MY name. Three and a half years later I am still trying to find "me" in there somewhere.

Hugs-
sjc

Big Pissy said...

Very well said.

One of your best! :)

*hugs*

Pissy

t_cole said...

thanks ya'll - cat, pixie, sjc and pissy.
i write for me.
as an outlet.
hopefully, as a craft.
but i'd be lying if i said i didn't write in the hopes that someone somewhere will appreciate my work.
so thanks for appreciating. that means a lot to me.

Polyman2 said...

nosce te ipsum;
know thyself.

KC said...

Very nicely said. Very moving.

Anonymous said...

being a man I think we do not think so deep. not so thoughtful about feelings such as these. I feel like i have always felt since a young boy. I just have more words to describe things now thats all. i appreciate more things, but I knew i would. i appreciated different things as a boy, but i felt the same way about them as i do the things i appreciate today.

Just as you do now.

Stay bright

Solus

Nobody said...

You know this is my struggle too. A big mind trip, isn't it? Getting older, that is... as the brain remains the same (just gets wiser). 3... wow. You ARE superwoman!

Mouthy Girl said...

Incredibly beautiful writing today, tcole. You brought tears to my eyes. Unlike the picture of you and your daughter that's secreted away somewhere...my moment with Buddha was shown a day after I gave birth...two over two hundred kids.

A friend of mine was with Husband Guy and I when I gave birth and captured an unbelievable shot of my first moment with my son. My friend said when that particular picture popped up on her tv (it was connected to her classroom computer) the kids were speechless with the exception of some gasps.

I know what you felt when you had your kids. I know what you're feeling now. I know the distinct confusion AND clarity when we attempt to define ourselves.

Today, I'm grateful for several things. You're one of them.

Zephyr said...

I think you defined your role perfectly. :) Great post!

t_cole said...

thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement. just knowing i am not alone in this search for self makes the journey that much easier - and often quite enjoyable.
you each have taught me something and helped me grow.
for that, i am most grateful.
t~