Thursday, February 02, 2006

Happy Birthday Samantha

my first born - the one that smashed the $450 window out of my van yesterday - turns 7 years old today. daddy and i have agreed to put the window smashing punishment talk on hold until post birthday. of course i did tell her that for her birthday present, she's getting a nice, tinted new van window...

but i digress....

seven years ago right now i was already at the hospital. my first baby well on her way to being born. i don't know what i was more excited about at this point in the process - having a new baby or NOT being pregnant. i HATED pregnant. and i do mean HATED. three pregnancies - each the longest 40 weeks of my life. maternity leave - the fastest 6 weeks. how does that work??? the only thing i enjoyed and liked about being pregnant was feeling the baby move. now that is amazing and way cool. but other than that - nothing. i didn't even like the bigger boobies. I've always had big boobs. bigger ones was not something to write home about.
and those women that go around gabbing about how much they love love love being prego - i could just slap 'em.

Samantha was born shortly after lunch. she was perfect. 10 fingers and 10 toes. More hair than most puppies. the grandparents ooohhhed and awwwed over her. the aunts, uncles and cousins with the flu visited us. friends, neighbors. flowers and gifts.
She was welcomed and loved by all.

one of the more experienced nurses came in the first night and taught me the coolest trick. it's called kangarooing. apparently babies (and this prolly applies to grown men too) thrive with skin to skin contact. so this wonderful nurse takes my baby and strips her down to her diaper. has me open my gown and she places this nearly naked baby on my bare chest. the top of her head, right under my chin. her tiny pink body between my breasts. she then gently closes my gown over her, pulls the covers up, tucks us in, dims the light and leaves us like this. her fresh baby smell filled my head. her soft warm, silky skin on mine. the little wiggles and movements i already knew so well - now on the outside of my body. soft breathing baby sounds. it was magical.

most mornings when i wake her, like today, i sit in bed with her. she crawls into my lap and we snuggle love and rock back and forth while the sleep leaves her. and while she's a lot bigger now and doesn't always smell like a sweet newborn, i am often returned to that first night, holding my baby, her heart against mine...


Happy Birthday Big Girl.
be well

be happy

be content

be brave

be aware that you are loved more than you will ever know


8 comments:

KC said...

Maybe she'll be the first woman to pitch for MLB. Get her a practice net and let her pitch balls instead of rocks.

Happy b'day to your sweet little girl.

Sometimes you gotta laugh at them, so you don't cry. heehee!

t_cole said...

kc - that's a great idea! we were still trying to decide what to get her for her birthday - other than the new van window...

Big Pissy said...

So sweet!

Happy birthday to your first baby.

Mouthy Girl said...

Happy Birthday, Samantha! And happy day to you, tcole...you brought back incredible memories of Buddha's first moments with me.

Your kids are so blessed to have you as their mama. When they're heinous and throwing rocks, I'll remind you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Samantha!

T - hope you enjoy it too, i think kc has a terrific idea!

lova ya bunches,
sjc

t_cole said...

Pissy, BG, Cat and SJC -
thanks for the well wishes.
Sam had a wonderful party at school on Thursday. I took her class happy meals, ice cream and cupcakes. we had a ball!
Then on Saturday, we had a party at Chuck E Cheese. Was a BALL!
it was very nice to share her day with you!

Pat & Reg said...

Wow t. Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous! I'm not a advocate for moms putting their kids into modeling but Samantha would inspire me to buy something completely frivolous!

Nice blog. I love the background! :)

t_cole said...

thanks Reg. I am quite partial to sam and her beauty too. and at the urging of a few folks, i have considered sending her pictures to a dallas modeling agency. ONLY because she attends a special private school and the tuition is barely within our budget. if she could earn some bucks, would be a great way to pay her tuition and fees.
and she loves it - modeling and posing for her uncle randy - our regular photographer.
i still might do it. she just has so many 'issues' - don't know if anyone would put up with us long enuf to put her to work...
but you are kind. thanks for your sweet words!