Tuesday, February 14, 2006

the odd couple

no, i'm not talking about me and the hubby.

year before last, shortly after i found out i was prego with #3, my two young daughters and i packed our bags and moved to Mississippi - in with my parents. not because of marital distress but so that our oldest daughter could attend a specialized speech program at the university of southern mississippi. at the time, there were no programs that met her needs for education AND speech therapy in the great state of texas. for an explanation of her challenges, click here.

so off we went - and it was a long, llllooooonnnnngggggg school year that year.

imagine moving back in with your parents. uh huh. ok.

now imagine moving back in with your parents with two small children. yep, that too.

finally, imagine moving back in with your parents, two small children and hormonal mood swings from hell because you are pregnant with your third child at the ripe age of 36!

now you kinda have the full picture - as long as i point out that hubby stayed here in texas to work, avoid me pregnant and to hold down the fort. he traveled to mississippi about twice a month to visit and calm me down.

and let me state for the record - MY PARENTS ARE SAINTS. i would never have put up with me and my prego, hormonal boil-the-bunny psycho bullsh*t. NEVER! i was a living, walking nightmare. TRUST me. i am not sugarcoating this. i am indebted to them for the rest of my life. and of course being the saints they are, they act like it was nothing. crazy people.

it was worth it. the program was fabulous and sam made measurable progress. a new pilot program was started at a private school here in dallas so we were able to move back home after that school year. THANK GOD!

but there were several things I learned and am thankful for from that school year...
1. i already mentioned - my parents are saints. my dad - every day, faithfully, drove sam to and from school. 45 minutes one way. he had a horrible time understanding her speech on those rides. it frustrated him. it frustrated her. but they stuck it out and forged a strong bond between granddaddy and granddaughter.

2. my grandmother died that year - while we were home. and since i was local, i got to spend more time with her before she passed as well as be with her at the end.

3. i learned that my mother gets smarter as she gets older. or perhaps i recognize it more as i get older. it's prolly me. i'd be willing to bet she's been brilliant my whole life and i have been in denial.

4. i learned that it is never, ever a good idea for a 3 yr old and a 5 year old to share a bedroom.

5. i learned that sending a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old to their room does not prevent them from going outside to play. especially when there is a window available for them to crawl out of. i am not kidding.

6. i learned that you can not gain a single pound for 6 months in a pregnancy but when they open a new Krispy Kreme doughnuts across from your Dr's office, 20 pounds jumps out and attacks you. my son's first word was 'doughnut' - he was 3 hours old...

7. finally, i learned that a husband, bored to tears in the absence of his family, will do just about anything to entertain himself. i have proof.

while we were gone, hubby became attached to one of our chickens. the kids named her Mama Chicken. we call her Mama for short. he fed her by hand. she hung out in the garage with him when he worked. followed him around the farm. by the time we moved back home, he had this chicken convinced she was a cat. much to my amazement, she let the girls pick her up and tote her around like a cat. they even put her in their swimming pool with them - before i could intervene - and while she did not enjoy it in the least, she did not scratch their little eyes out.

so now, Moma is the only chicken we have left now. she pretty much lives on the back porch. with our real cats. sometimes she sits at the kitchen window and watches us go about our lives. which is fine - unless i am cooking chicken and then i can't look her in the eye.

and we do feed her chicken food. regularly. but i noticed the strangest thing the other day. had to grab my camera. bloggie love and all...



Happy Valentine's Day folks!

from Moma and me........

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

parents, however frustrating at times, can be amazing

why they continue to help and prop me up all through life, i'll never know (well, actually i would - i have kids now)

----

that picture of the chicken with the cats is way too funny

wonderful story

i will be retelling it along the way. you are about to become "a friend of mine" and "a friend of mine's husband"

Anonymous said...

oops, forgot to sign the above

cadbury

E said...

OK, so are your cats small or is that one, big chicken?!?! That's so funny!

Parents are great and they become even better when you realize they are people too. I was 30 when I figured it out and I am so very grateful for them.

t_cole said...

Cadbury - I'd love to become 'a friend of yours." it's a honor.
and yes parents are amazing. i aspire to be that wonderful when my kids are grown - don't think i will - as i have a countdown calendar to when the youngest moves out on his own...
am waiting on a new update on your story...

Hi E, snow melted yet?
lmao - chicken is big and fat but the two cats in the foreground are not full grown...

E said...

We still have about 12 inches on the ground. It's still beautiful. Do you keep Moma for the eggs? That is so cool!
E

t_cole said...

e-
we keep Moma because she won't go away. that and because she is too smart to be eaten up by the coyotes. (kidding - she's family) yes, she does lay eggs - but i am too lazy to go pick them up every day. and when i do remember, i don't know how long they have been there so i throw them out into the pasture...
i know, i am ashamed. my neighbors have a complete zoo and i get fresh farm eggs from them every couple days. and yes, there is a difference in fresh eggs and store bought.
send snow south please. i am soooo jealous!

Big Pissy said...

What a great story!!!
And that picture is priceless!!!! had to show it to Sweet Man! =)

Happy VD!!

Nobody said...

Ohhh, you have CHICKENS?! Cole... you have been holding back on us. I Want Pics of the FARMMMMMM!!!

You have to understand, this is coming from a girl who didn't see a deer in the wild until she was 20 (and I almost pooped my pants).

City Folk, I know...

I have Old Mc Nowhere Girl fantasies...

Mouthy Girl said...

Oh my gosh!!! That picture is precious! I'm putting your parents up for sainthood. Just today I was commenting to Hot Girl about what a terror I was when I was pregnant. I know I was mean...admitting it is easy.

t_cole said...

Pissy, i am so glad SM enjoyed the pic. tell him there will be more forthcoming at NWG's request.

CP, yep, my folk are awesome. and it was quite the experience. luckily, they have forgiven me...

NWG! Pictures will be coming up soon. (i have to get through this Nashville trip first.) we only have one chicken, one horse (Lady) and one cow - a longhorn named Cheeseburger. but i will do my best to make it look interesting...

hey BG - it's not a cute little boy in the snow, but it's still a precious pic.
i was a nightmare prego. all three times. a roaring, biting, angry, FAT, uncomfortable, bitchy BIATCH! the nicest thing i ever did for my hubby was have my tubes tied. the second nicest - living with my folks during the 3rd prgnancy. i am so serious.
=)

Pixie said...

Aww that is such a cute pic tcole, I know I am late but I hope that you had a nice day :)