Thursday, February 23, 2006

it's my blog and i'll rant if i want to

this rant is motivated by a recent entry i read on another blog. i will not name names or give you a link as i do not wish to give their obvious ignorance and blatant prejudices another second of air time.
but here's what i have to say...
i was born, raised and educated in South Mississippi. as such - i saw/experienced/lived FIRST HAND bigotry, racism, hatred and prejudice. i remember days at school when the white parents were told to keep their kids at home because the black kids were going to "start trouble."
Charles Mack Parker, a black man, was taken from a jail cell in my home town by a gang of white men - lynched and thrown off a bridge into the Pearl River. I wasn't born when this happened, but this story was very much alive when i grew up. i even went to church on Sundays with men that were complicit in this event.
in all this - i was one of the lucky ones. kids are NOT born hating others. they learn it. my parents never taught me hate. never. they never taught me prejudice. fortunately, the parents of most of my friends felt the same way. My Jr. year in High school - 1985 - was the first year we had an integrated prom. a group of white seniors decided they only wanted to socialize with their kind. so they threw their own "Spring Dance" - by invitation only. i don't recall getting an invitation to that event. thankfully. my Sr. year was the first year we had only one prom - and everyone attended.
i asked my mom once why they raised me as they did. her response went something like this...
"you know i grew up in a childrens' home. we were the poor kids. we were the kids that no one wanted to play with. i knew what it was like to be prejudiced against and i never wanted you to make anyone feel that way."
whatta mom!
in college, i was an RA (resident assistant) in the dorm. one night a bunch of us got together and watched Mississippi Burning. i knew the story but had never seen the film. i sobbed through the entire thing. some of the girls i went with that night were black. they were my friends. they laughed at me for a week b/c every time i saw them, i cried, hugged them and apologized for the idiocy that was...
i moved to vail, colorado after college. my manager was from Manhattan. apparently i was the first person from mississippi she had ever met. first chance she got, she pulled me to the side and asked me in a hushed whisper, "Are you prejudiced?" i whispered back, "No. is that a problem?"
Why do i tell you all this? not to degrade my home state because you KNOW how much I love Mississippi and her people. for every 1 bigoted idiot in Mississippi, there are 100 beautiful, intelligent souls. apparently the same is true in the blogosphere. the vast majority of the blogs i read regularly and even the ones i drop in on occasionally are well written, funny, informative and mostly uplifting. and while everyone is entitled to their own preconceptions, stupidity and their right to express such, SO AM I.
i tell you all this because i feel i am uniquely qualified to recognize ignorance and prejudice when it is thinly veiled as an futile attempt at humor - as it was in this blog. before i even read the entry comments, which got heated and nasty, the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. the writer sincerely thought she was being funny - making fun of someone's cultural music choice and describing the type of restaurant it would usually be heard in. nope, sorry hon, not funny at all.
it's one thing for me to make fun of rednecks. i r one. CP can poke fun at the idiosyncrasies of being jewish - she r one. and pissy, if she wishes, can diss latinas. she r one. oprah can talk about the challenges of black women's hair on national tv. you will NEVER EVER hear jane pauley do that. everyone knows it's okay to talk about your own family - but never acceptable to rag on someone else's.
you know who you are. you crossed a line. your profile states that you hate stupid people. that must create a certain level of self loathing in your life.
you offended someone i adore. you offended me. and while it is your right to do so, it is also my right to call you on it.

12 comments:

t_cole said...

cat, you are MY KIND OF FRIEND!
glad to have you around these parts.
thanks!

Anonymous said...

i totally agree. proud of you - t. i also loathe the idea that any person can be so self rightous to put down or talk down to or of another person for any reason. it is so wrong. nevermind pc just plain uncouth!

love ya
sjc

t_cole said...

thanks sj. luv you too!
see ya soon! can't wait!

KC said...

My heart breaks when I read things like this. Obviously, I don't know who the blogger was that wrote that because it's not ringing any bells with me on what I've read lately. Hopefully, he/she will see the error of their ways and make an apology.

(I also hate thinly veiled sexual comments disguised as humor.)

E said...

My oldest friend is black and I've known him since we were 5 and lived 3 houses away from each other in Connecticut. We did everything together and I had no idea he was "different" from me (besides being a boy!) until I was 9 and some other kids called him names. I can remember being so confused and saying, "What's wrong with being darker skinned? Your Mom tries to get tan at the beach." We both walked away and we never spoke of it again but I remember it like it was yesterday. I still think about that day whenever I read the paper or see some Hate crime reported and I wonder when we will all just not care about what we look like; overweight, skinny, blonde, brunette, black, white, purple, green, whatever. It makes my blood boil and I am SO grateful that I don't read the blog you wrote about. I wouldn't have been able to contain myself in the comments.

t_cole said...

E-
it was all i could do to not go postal on them in the comments secion of that entry. the entry itself was just stupid ignorant racism disguised as poor humor. the comments got mean and nasty.

i do so hate blog drama - i really do. and i have had to work to stay out of it in the past.

but this was just too much. the 'person' who wrote the blog is in my current home town. a transplant at that. i can only hope she transplants herself back to where she came from.

kc - i know just what you mean. and the good news is that this isn't - from what i can tell - a heavily traveled blog. and i doubt an apology is forthcoming. she has already stated "She didn't mean anything by it..."

arrrrggggghhhhh!

Big Pissy said...

You have the gift of expressing yourself in such a powerful way.

I hope you write that book someday! ;-)

Thank you so much for this post.

I needed it.

*hugs*

~Pissy

ohc said...

Hello T! I thought I would come by and personally thank you for coming by and taking the survey! I really appreciate that! And I love your blog! I will be back by to visit. Have a great weekend! Oldhippichick

Pixie said...

Great post T.
growing up in the UK in an area with mostly white folks I have never really experienced racisum and for that I am glad.My best friend in infant school was from pakistan and from what I recall she didnt have any trouble , well no more then the rest of us getting into petty arguments etc.I hold my hand up and say I dont know many black people at all, one was a guy who worked int he same office as men and I can honestley say whenever we were out on the town etc that he was treated like the rest of us by the general public(as he should be , my point being that alchol failed to bring out any rascist behaviour from others either)

It never fails to shock me when I realise that in the 1960's that people were still being segregrated in the US !!!.
people are people at the end of the day

I know I have made fun of people on my blog in the past and although its things I have gotten from humour sites , I always feel a tad bad afterwards.

t_cole said...

thanks all for the heartfelt and very thoughtful feedback.

and pixie - we all tease and joke and poke fun at ourselves and others. and 99% of the time it is all in fun and good humor. it's when that fun and joking are motivated by an undercurrent of prejudice and ignorance that it's a problem - for me. for others, even that is still just harlmess fun and games.
i've just seen too much and have a personal "sore spot" for it. ignorance rubs me the wrong way. it doesn't make me right and everyone else wrong. i am not a holier-than-thou ms. goody two shoes. (at least not most of the time.=) )
and i have never seen anything on your blog that i have found to be the least offensive.
i don't know where you draw the line. i don't always know where my line is. i just know when it has been crossed.
i fear i am sending a mixed message - or at the very least - a weak one.
i guess what i should say is that we should all live our own convictions. my conviction is to speak out against bigotry - particularly when cloaked as bad humor.
tell me that makes sense to you???

Pixie said...

and you spoke out so well T

Mouthy Girl said...

Well said, Tcole. You are someone who obviously doesn't "lose it" when confronted by small-minded, ignorant people.

I admire your ability to show your anger, distrust, and disgust with people who feel the need to disguise their own judgment and hatred with thinly-veiled humor.

As always, you are wonderful!