Friday, February 10, 2006

LUUUUKE ~ raspy exhale ~ I Am Your Conductor

so i am a star wars fan. i was 10 years old in 1978 when the first movie was released. that's 28 years of my life - a fan of luke skywalker, han solo, princess leia, et al.

i am also a fan of composer John Williams. he did the scores for star wars (of course), superman, the indiana jones movies, schindler's list, close encounters and tons more. we played a few of his pieces when i was in high school concert band and that just solidified my connection to his work.

so for an early valentine present, my husband surprised - well tried to surprise - me with tickets to the Dallas Symphony Orchestra's presentation of The Star Wars Concert. and i say tried to surprise me because they mailed the tickets to the house - when they were supposed to be Will Call at the door. and then he begged me not to look it up on-line - what the program would be - so i didn't. (seriously, i didn't peek even once.) but while waiting at his house last night - before leaving, his dad asked me if we are going to see star wars with hubby's brother or not.

ah ha! so it IS john williams we are going to enjoy!

and it was really cool. the actor, Anthony Daniels - he played the droid C-3PO - was the narrator for the evening. when he came on stage in a gold lame jacket shuffling in a C-3PO-ish manner, i liked him immediately. he was hugely entertaining and added so much to the overall experience. at one point, his wireless mike went out. the consummate professional, he reached for the back up mike, explained to us - the audience - the dark side was at work all around us. he then explained how he would have to start over at the beginning and proceeded to use a Jedi mind trick on us by telling us "you won't remember any of this. you will not remember the technical difficulty." the audience roared our approval. he continued to keep us on the edge of our seats.

and every time his script would mention C-3PO, he would always over indulge in self aggrandizement - much to the conductor's faux protests. by the end of the evening - to hear him tell it - C-3PO was the larger than life, handsome, intelligent unsung hero in all six films.

AND they had 'characters' from the films available to take pictures with. the kids were eating it up. i may have been the only grownup standing in line to have my pic made with a storm trooper. who cares? i knew it was for you guys. the things we do for bloggie love...

but back to real reason we were there - the music of John Williams. it felt like i was listening to the soundtrack of my childhood when they got to the music of the original three films. the dallas symphony orchestra nailed the performance. the acoustics in the myerson are flawless. we had fabulous seats - when i closed my eyes, i felt like i was inside the music.

there is a saying that goes something like this...

every fragment of a song holds a past memory for someone.

and i believe that to be true - even before last night. you can be listening to the radio and hear a song and instantly be transported to a place in your past - good or bad. all from the sound of music. that happened to me last night with amazing clarity.

i have written about my childhood sweetheart a few times on this blog. i realized last night i was 10 when i went on my first quasi-date. he would have been 11. an older man. we went to see star wars - the first one. at the small home-town theater. one screen. it always smelled like old tennis shoes and stale popcorn. my mom would give me $2. $1 to get in and $1 for popcorn and a coke. our baby sitters sat in the back of the theater. we sat about half way down. he was on my right.

last night when they played princess leia's theme, my husband took my hand. i was sucked through time and space - to my ten year old memory. that song was when my sweetheart took my right hand in his right hand and put his left arm around my shoulder. it was the first time in my life a boy had ever touched me romantically. i got butterflies the size of cows in my stomach. they stayed there for a week. i remember my hand sweating in his. up until then, i never even knew a hand could perspire...

here i am, 28 years later, a grown women with kids, a job, a husband and a mortgage. and i close my eyes, listen to the music and can feel a ten year old's heart beating in my chest. pounding. butterflies too. i can almost smell the stale popcorn ground into the carpet. my hand is sweating. again.

thank you honey, it was a wonderful valentine's gift.

thank you mr. williams - for the music and the memories


13 comments:

KC said...

Ohmygosh! I am so jealous! I guess you didn't invite me along since I didn't invite you to see Michael York with me last week. heehee!

Your evening (and the memories it evoked) sound so warm and wonderful. What a great gift from your husband.

The first 3 Star Wars movies are faves of mine also. Wish you could have been here in 2003 when we did a Live parody version of the first 3 films (in less than one hour). Ohmygosh it was a hoot! All your favorite moments (probably) mangled by bad props and over-the-top-acting. That play got some of our best reviews ever!

t_cole said...

hi KC,
yes it was a great gift and a great evening.
and i couldn't invite you b/c it was a surpise, remember???
google it - it's on tour.

your parady sounds like fun too.
wish i had been there for that!

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Fun evening, even for us.

Pixie said...

Interesting read t cole and you look really radient in the pic with the storm trooper =)

t_cole said...

thanks richard. always nice to see you have been by!

pixie - thank you! radiant. a wonderful word! (thats my new top too - has sparkles on the top but you cant really see them in the pic.)
you made my evening. =)
((((((pixie)))))))

Big Pissy said...

What a neat gift! Very thoughtful!

I love the picture too~so glad you were thinking of us ~so we could share in the experience =)

You look so pretty in the pic~I love your outfit!

Anonymous said...

very thoughtful V-day gift! sweet hubby. sounds like it was wonderful. hope you have a nice weekend!

~sjc

Mouthy Girl said...

Holy crap! What a fantabulous time! I'm so envious yet so happy at the same time!

Like Pissy said, you look HOT in that picture! Dammit...I want some storm trooper love!b

Anonymous said...

hi nice to talk funny sorty about sam love ya can't wait to see you


your always my aunt

katelyn

CP said...

Oh My God. That sounds like absolute heaven. Isn't it amazing when the man that you love puts the world at your feet like that...if only for one night?

What a wonderful treasured memory.

Good for you. Did you get naked with the storm trooper? *L*

CP.

t_cole said...

BP - Thank you. you look nice today too! is that pink you're wearing??? teeheehee

sjc, yes we had a great weekend. tyvm.

bg - hot?! ooohhhh Baby. I LOVE YOU! You're my FAVORITE person today. =) MUUUWWWAAAHHHHHH!

CP - you crack me up. i did get a little storm trooper action - in a manner of speaking. there were two pics taken of me with the shiny ST guy. the second, unposted pic was of me laying a big juicy wet kiss on his cheek. i debated on which one to post. vanity won out...

and yes, girls - hubby is VERY thoughtful and often amazing in his gifts for me. i am a lucky, LUCKY girl...

Nobody said...

"here i am, 28 years later, a grown women with kids, a job, a husband and a mortgage. and i close my eyes, listen to the music and can feel a ten year old's heart beating in my chest. pounding. butterflies too. i can almost smell the stale popcorn ground into the carpet. my hand is sweating. again."

I love this passage so much, TC.

The pic is HILARIOUS, by the way. Love it!! You should send a copy to the childhood cweetheart for shits and grins ;)

MistaBone said...

Sorry, I'm late, But I just got here so...
You are so lucky!!!! I am a total Star Wars FREAK!!! I have the movies (Original release and special edition...VHS and DVD...Even the Ewok Adventures) And The Cd's... I even have about seventy of the books!!
John Williams is God with a conductors Baton!!
I tried to Google the tour to see when it's coming to San Diego...but alas...no luck.
Hey, If it does come here...can you have your husband give my wife the info as a hint? Maybe she'll get me a couple of tickets and I can take a friend...
Oh, And if you ask me...The Stormtrooper was lucky, too! Looking Good girl!